A fresh watermelon smoothie may just be the easiest, most refreshing drink you can make! It’s healthy, sweet, and looks great in a glass. It is definitely one of our absolute favorite summer drinks and we know you are going to love it too!
You don’t need much to make a perfect watermelon smoothie. In fact, you only need three ingredients. Here is what you should grab at the store:
- Watermelon- You can buy pre-cubed watermelon so you don’t have to cut a thing. Freeze the cubed watermelon for at least 4 hours so it gets nice and solid. We like to always have some watermelon always in the freezer so we can whip up a smoothie anytime the craving hits.
- Lime Juice- Fresh squeezed juice is always best but bottled juice will work as well. Using bottled juice will also make this drink super fast to put together. We love short cuts!
- Honey- A little bit of honey enhances the natural sweetness of the watermelon. If your watermelon is extra sweet, you can skip the honey but we love the depth and flavor it adds to the drink.
There are a few ways to switch up this drink, adding different ingredients to tweak it but we will talk about that later. You really only need these three things to make an incredible watermelon smoothie. So now, on to how to put the whole thing together.
Do you have a blender? Do you know how to use it? If the answer is yes, then you already know how to make a perfect watermelon smoothie. It is so simple that you really just need to press one button-blend! Here is how to do it:
- Measure all of the ingredients and put them into a blender.
- Blend everything together until very smooth.
- Pour into two tall glasses and enjoy.
Anyone can make a watermelon smoothie. Even kids will have fun putting this tasty drink together. An easy drink is a good drink!
There are a few ways to switch up this recipe and make it extra delicious. While we adore our classic watermelon smoothie recipe, there are times when you may want something a little different. Give one of these variations a try and see which is your favorite.
- Add one cup of milk to make a creamy watermelon smoothie. Any kind of milk will work! Whole milk and dairy free oat milk are our favorites.
- Use half watermelon, half strawberries to make a pretty, red drink that has an even more powerful taste.
- If you don’t have frozen watermelon, use 5 cups of fresh melon and one cup of ice. This is a super quick way to make that perfect smoothie you are craving.
- Skip the honey in the recipe to reduce the calories. You really don’t need the honey when your watermelon is super sweet.
- Pour the smoothie mix into popsicle molds and freeze. They make fantastic popsicles!
- Add ½ cup creme de coco for a very tropical watermelon smoothie recipe.
- Add ¼ cup fresh mint for a super refreshing smoothie. You can also use ¼ cup of fresh basil for an interesting, herby smoothie.
If you come up with a great substitution, let us know! We are always interested in new and exciting twists on our recipes.
Need another reason why you should make this smoothie? Well, our watermelon smoothie is quite healthy. Just another reason why you should make it ASAP! Wanna know why our watermelon smoothie recipe is so healthy? We can tell you!
- Watermelons are full of water (hence the name…) which means it is very hydrating. Drinking our watermelon smoothie will keep you hydrated and refreshed.
- Watermelons have lots of vitamins and minerals like vitamin C and vitamin A. Lime juice is also packed with vitamin C which has been shown to boost immunity.
- One cup of diced watermelon only has about 46 calories. It is a low cal floor that will fill you up, so it is often considered a weight loss food.
- Watermelon has lots of lycopene which may help reduce certain cancers. Lycopene has also been shown to lower risk of heart attack and also stroke.
- Watermelon has the amino acid called citrulline. Citrulline can help lower your blood pressure and may also help relieve sore muscles by expanding blood vessels, allowing blood to pump freely through your body.
Seems like there are a lot of reasons why you should make this smoothie. So, are you ready to get blending? We bet you are!
If you have been wanting to try a watermelon smoothie recipe, this is definitely the one you should make. It is easy, tasty and healthy. What more could you need? This is just an all around winner. Make it and then you’ll know! Enjoy.
Do you have questions about our smoothie recipe? You can always leave your questions in the comments below and we will answer ASAP. For now, take a look at these FAQs and answers. Hopefully they will help you!
What fruit mixes well with watermelon?
So many fruits go well with watermelon. Almost every kind of berry will pair well with watermelon and tropical fruits like coconut, pineapple and papaya are also great with watermelon. Is mango and watermelon a good combination? Absolutely! There are lots of fruits you can blend into this mix that will be fantastic.
Is it okay to blend watermelon seeds?
You can blend watermelon seeds into your smoothie if you’d like. You can strain them out or puree them well and keep them in the drink. Watermelon seeds are actually extremely healthy. They are a rich source of magnesium, a vitamin that has been shown to have lots of great benefits to the human body.
Is frozen watermelon good smoothies?
Frozen watermelon is great to add to smoothies. It has way more flavor than ice cubes and will blend just as thick as ice. You can think of frozen watermelon as flavored ice. Add it to any of your favorite smoothie recipes- it goes with everything!