No matter what society says, it is completely fine to not drink alcohol. People choose not to drink for a variety of reasons, whether it be health-related, religious reasons, or personal matters.
Despite all this, sometimes peer pressure still tries to get the best of someone. Believe it or not, there are many ways to say no to alcohol. Some are point-blank and others are more creative, clever, and humorous.
Instead of having just a few excuses for not drinking up your sleeve, here are 50 to ensure that you’ll never run out! They are even organized into categories for your convenience.
“Always Working” Excuses
- I’ve got a long day ahead of me tomorrow
Too much alcohol can definitely interfere with a busy workday.
- I have to wake up really early tomorrow morning
No one likes to feel groggy, especially on a weekday!
- I’m stressed because of work
There are many other ways to unwind after a stressful day besides drinking.
- I have a huge meeting and/or presentation tomorrow
You wouldn’t want to mess this up.
- I bet against my colleague to see who could go longer without drinking
A little friendly competition never hurt anybody.
- I turn into a wild animal when I drink
Keep your wild side to a minimum!
- You don’t want to see me drunk
No one likes to babysit a drunk adult. You’re just doing a friend a favor.
- I’m just as fun, if not more fun when I’m sober
Nobody knows your body better than you.
- You won’t be able to handle me
Say this one with a confident laugh!
- My tastebuds have evolved and they don’t enjoy the taste of alcohol.
You can’t force something to taste good.
- A hangover is the last thing I need tomorrow morning
Amen! Who actually enjoys being hungover? Nobody!
- I’d like to actually remember tonight
You can still make memories while sober!
- My liver hates me because of how much I drank last weekend
Show your largest internal organ some love by giving it a break.
- I’m still recovering from the cold I just had
Or whichever sickness it may be.
- I’m still finishing up my antibiotics I had to take
Be kind to your immune system!
- I recently started taking a new medication and don’t know how my body will react
It’s best not to risk it!
- I have a bad headache
Alcohol will only make this worse.
- I have an upset stomach
Again, alcohol will only make this worse.
- I’m trying to lose a bit of weight
Giving alcohol a break might help you lose those few extra pounds.
- I have to fast before my doctor appointment tomorrow
I’m just following the doctor’s orders!
- I’m trying to cut liquid calories
A lot of people underestimate how high some alcoholic drinks can be in calories, carbs, and sugar.
- My trainer recommends I quit drinking to reach my fitness goals quicker
Your trainer is right, too.
- I’m trying to fit into a dress/suit for a wedding I’m going to
Of course, you want to look and feel your best.
- My doctor recommended I take a break from drinking
Too much alcohol definitely can lead to some health problems.
- My body doesn’t feel great, I need to give it a break
We all need to take a break every once in a while!
- My skin has been experiencing some bad breakouts
Alcohol can potentially be causing this.
- My body doesn’t react to alcohol well
Some people are more tolerant than others.
- I’ve been having trouble sleeping
It has been proven that alcohol can affect your sleep cycle.
- My partner and I are trying to conceive
Just trying to help protect a potential embryo!
- I’m pregnant
Need I say more?
All-Time Best Excuses
- I’m the designated driver tonight
Don’t mess with a responsible adult!
- I have to pick my kids up from somewhere
Bonus points if you don’t actually have kids. Just make sure the people you’re with don’t know that!
- It was too expensive to get an Uber
Did you know this country is amid a labor shortage?
- I’m trying to save money
Drinking is not a cheap habit unless you want to drink the crappy stuff!
- I don’t like (insert whichever drinks are being served)
We all have our preferences.
- I don’t react well to (insert alcoholic beverage)
Good for you for knowing your limits.
- My New Year’s Resolution is to not drink
Cheers to new beginnings.
- I’m participating in Dry January
And it might last throughout the other 11 months, too.
- I’m not drinking due to religious reasons
- I’m still recovering from last night
The struggle is real.
- I haven’t had enough to eat yet
It’s never a good idea to drink on an empty stomach!
- I’m not thirsty
Unlike some of you people!
- I’m good, thank you
Short, sweet, and to the point.
- I don’t want to be hungover in the morning
Not today, Satan!
- I’m not going to be out late anyway
My bed is calling my name.
- I’m feeling really tired
This is a classic excuse for any situation.
- I’m trying to challenge myself to see how long I can go without drinking
Putting willpower to the test.
- I don’t need to drink to have fun
If you need to have alcohol to have fun, then you might be a boring person.
- My mocktail I’m drinking tastes delicious
More power to you, my friend.
- I just don’t drink
And that should be respected!
Choosing to drink or not drink alcohol is a personal decision and should always be respected whether you come up with an excuse or not. Let’s raise a glass (or mocktail) to making our own decisions!