Have you ever tried a blood orange? The juicy red fruit is unlike any you have ever had before. It is so sweet with the perfect amount of citrus tang. And the color of the blood orange? Well, it is just unbelievable.
If you are looking for an easy, show stopping mocktail, this is the one you need to make. It is beautiful, flavorful and simple- everything you want in a drink!
A blood orange is a citrus fruit that looks like an orange on the outside but actually has a deep red colored center. Blood oranges get their red color from a component called anthocyanin which develops in the fruits when days are warm and nights are cool.
Blood oranges are also easier to peel than other types of oranges. They have less seeds than a regular orange and they are also a little bit sweeter. Blood oranges are just as juicy as a standard orange but the juice, of course, is a vibrant red. It really is amazing!
Blood oranges are in season from December to April. They may be harder to find than a classic orange and can be a little more expensive, too. However, we think the price is worth it! You really can’t beat that beautiful color and taste.
Not only does this blood orange mocktail taste amazing, it is also pretty darn healthy. Blood oranges are quite good for you and the other ingredients we add to the glass have their own sets of benefits. There is nothing better than a healthy mocktail!
Here is a quick look at some of the health benefits of blood oranges:
- Low in calories but high in nutrients and antioxidants
- Full of dietary fiber that can help keep your gut healthy
- May support healthy pregnancy thanks to the folate and vitamin C in the oranges
- May promote weight loss thanks to the fiber in the oranges that will keep you feeling full.
- The vitamin C in the blood oranges can boost your immune system.
This list could really go on and on- blood oranges are just so healthy! Add these benefits to the low glycemic index of agave and the extra vitamin C in lime juice and you got yourself one healthy mocktail!
We tried to keep our blood orange mocktail recipe as simple as possible while also getting flavor and interest into the glass. No boring, basic mocktails here! Our recipes are always incredible.
Here is what you will need to get to make our blood orange mocktail:
- Blood Orange Juice- You can get one cup of blood orange juice from about 3 medium sized blood oranges. If you can find pre-squeezed blood orange juice, that is even better! Just make sure the juice has no additives or preservatives- you want pure juice for this recipe.
- Agave Nectar- Agave nectar is a natural sweetener made from the agave cactus. It has a thick, syrupy texture that is almost like honey. You can use honey in place of agave if needed but we like the more mild taste of agave for this recipe. It really lets the blood orange taste shine through!
- Sparkling Water- A little plain sparkling water really adds a nice, fresh fizz to the mocktail that you will adore. We like to use plain sparkling water so the fresh taste of the blood oranges and the lime juice can really shine through. You can use flavored sparkling water if you’d like but try to go with a mild, citrus flavor.
- Lime Juice- Fresh lime juice adds a little zing to the glass which compliments the blood orange juice. Blood oranges are quite sweet so the tangy taste of lime helps to balance the drink.
In addition to the main ingredients in the mocktail recipe, we like to also add a lime slice and a mint sprig to the glass as a garnish. Garnishes are optional, of course, but they really turn your mocktail into an extra special drink. A good garnish will transform you into a mixologist rather than just a basic home bartender. You gotta get the garnishes…
Ready to mix up a great drink? Well, it won’t take you very long to do! You can make this blood orange mocktail in minutes. If you have pre-squeezed blood orange juice, you can cut that time down even more! Here is what you need to do to make the perfect blood orange mocktail:
- Add the orange and lime juice to a cocktail shaker and stir in the agave.
- Add ice to the shaker then cover and shake hard. The harder you shake the colder, foamier and more blended the drink will get. And, it is fun to shake up a drink! Add a little pizzazz to your shake. Do a little dance. Really get into it. Your drink will be all the better for it!
- Fill two highball glasses with fresh ice. We like to use one large ice cube that fills the glass. It will keep your drink nice and cold for longer!
- Strain the mocktail into each glass, pouring it over the fresh ice.
- Add the seltzer to the glass, topping off the drink with a little fizz.
- Add your lime slice and mint sprig to each drink and enjoy!
The bright green color of the lime slice and the deep red blood orange juice are such a great visual combination. Take one sip of the drink and you will also be delighted by the taste. It doesn’t get any fresher than this!
Still have questions about our tasty mocktail? Take a look at these FAQs and hopefully they will help. You can always send your question our way by leaving a comment below!
What is a good mocktail to drink in January?
This mocktail is perfect for January because that is when blood oranges are in season. This drink will also brighten up a dreary January day.
How to drink blood orange juice with honey?
You can make our mocktail recipe with honey instead of agave. It is completely delicious! Honey is a little sweeter than agave so you may want to use half the quantity to balance the drink well.