Have you ever heard of a hurricane? And no, we aren’t talking about the tropical storm! We are talking about the delicious, amazing hurricane drink.
If you haven't heard of a hurricane, then it is about time you do!
It is a fruity, sweet drink that you are sure to adore. Luckily, we have a great recipe for a non alcoholic hurricane mocktail and we want to share it with you!
So let’s dive into the storm and start drinking!
If you are already wondering what’s a hurricane drink made of, we can help! We use some simple juices and mixers to make our delicious hurricane mocktail. Here is what you need to make a hurricane at home:
- Orange Juice- Every hurricane cocktail we have ever tried is made with orange juice. It is the sweet, slightly tangy base of the drink.
- Pineapple Juice- Pineapple juice adds a tropical sweetness to the glass. Pineapple juice is usually sold in cans rather than plastic bottles. Look for the big can or try making your own pineapple juice by blending and straining fresh pineapple.
- Cranberry Juice- Cranberry juice adds a tart, bold flavor to the glass. It also has a beautiful red color that blends well with the orange juice, making a sunset colored drink
- Lime Juice- A little fresh lime juice adds an amazing, tangy, citrus taste.
- Grenadine- Grenadine is made with pomegranate juice and sugar. It is syrupy, sweet and beautifully red. A little bit of grenadine adds a whole lot of flavor to this drink.
- Orange slices and Maraschino Cherries- The classic hurricane drink is garnished with orange slices and cherries so that is what we use, too! These two simple garnishes add a pop of color and a little bit of bonus flavor.
The original hurricane cocktail is made with dark and light rum which, of course, we skip. We don’t need alcohol ruining our delicious drink! The hurricane is far better without the alcohol, that is a fact!
Once you have all the ingredients you need to make a hurricane mocktail, you are ready to mix it all together! How is a hurricane mixed? That is easy:
- Fill a cocktail shaker about halfway with ice.
- Add the orange juice, pineapple juice, cranberry juice, lime juice, and grenadine to the cocktail shaker.
- Cover the shaker and shake vigorously.
- Place a cocktail strainer on top of the shaker.
- Strain the drink into two tall hurricane glasses.
- Add some fresh ice then garnish the drink with an orange slice, cherry and straw.
Shaking the ingredients together makes the drink beautifully mixed. It also makes it a little frothy and foamy, just like the ocean when a real hurricane is approaching! Although our hurricane drink is much better than a real hurricane, we promise!
Have you been wondering about the name of this drink? Because we definitely questioned it the first time we saw it too. The reason behind the name stems from the glass the drink is classically served in.
The hurricane glass got it’s name since it has the same shape as a hurricane lamp. So, to recap, the glass looks like a lamp and the drink is always served in that glass so they are all called hurricane! Seems to make sense!
Do you have to use a hurricane glass to serve a hurricane? No, you do not. You can really use any glass you’d like. However, hurricane glasses are fun and traditional.
They also look great with a brightly colored drink and a fun cocktail umbrella. The simple glass choice can really help step up your mocktail game.
Let’s go way back to 1939 at the World’s Fair in New York City. There was a bar called “Hurricane Bar” that served drinks called hurricanes. What was in them? No one really knows.
However. We do know what was being mixed up at Pat O’Brien’s chain of bars and restaurants- a different kind of hurricane drink. The O’Brien hurricane was created as a way to make people drink rum which wasn’t very popular at the time.
But with the right blend of juices and a fun, hurricane shaped lamp, the drink took off.
The O’Brien type of hurricane drink is closest to the one we have mixed up here. The cherry, the orange peel, the fruit juices…it is all classic hurricane!
So while we may never know exactly where the first true hurricane was mixed, we are going to give the credit to the O’Brien group for mixing up a drink much like the one we love today. Thanks O’Brien!
So are you ready to try making your own delicious hurricane drink? We think you should go for it! Grab your hurricane glass and your cocktail shaker and get started. It is a sweet and fruity drink that you will love. Enjoy!
We all have questions. Now, we have the answers. Hopefully we answer all your drink questions here in the FAQ’s. If you are still wondering about something, you can always ask us directly in the comments below- we will respond ASAP!
What flavor is hurricane?
Hurricane is fruity, sweet and just a little tangy. It has a strong orange taste with the tanginess of lime juice and cranberries. Sometimes hurricanes are made with passion fruit instead of orange juice. This is a great way to make the drink even more tropical and juicy.
What drink is New Orleans famous for?
You probably guessed that New Orleans is famous for the hurricane! It is one of the many drinks that the city is known for. New Orleans also created the sazerac, the vieux carre and the grasshopper. Don’t forget about the Pimm’s cup, another New Orleans classic.
What percent alcohol is a hurricane?
A traditional hurricane cocktail has about 8% alcohol by volume. That is way too much for us! Our hurricane mocktail is completely alcohol free so you can enjoy every single sip without worry. It tastes so much better this way!