We love fruity drinks. A yummy, flavorful punch is always something we want to have in our glass. This Pimm’s cup mocktail is one of the fruitiest, tastiest drinks we have ever had. We know you are going to love it!
What is a Pimm’s Cup?
Pimm’s cup was created in the 1840’s in London. The drink is actually named after Pimm’s No 1. Gin that was created by James Pimm in the 1800’s
Pimm’s cup was originally thought of as a health food drink. Gin is classically used as a digestif, a drink that helps you digest your food after a big meal. The “healthy” gin, ginger and lemon all have health benefits and they taste good together.
Cucumbers and fruit were added to the drink to make it more flavorful and sweeter. The cocktail became very popular in the US, especially in the south. It is refreshing in the hot summer weather. Pimm’s cup drink is also very popular at Wimbledon tennis tournaments.
The classic Pimm’s cup cocktail is made with Pimm’s No. 1 gin. Of course, our virgin Pimm’s cup skips the gin completely. We did want to keep the same fruity, refreshing flavors of the classic drink. We think we nailed it!
Here are the ingredients for our pimm’s cup mocktail recipe.
- Lemons and Lemon Juice- Fresh lemon wedges and lemon juice make the Pimm’s cup mocktail very bright and tangy.
- Cucumber- Cucumber slices add a nice, cool flavor that is often found in gin.
- Oranges- orange slices are beautiful and have a nice fruity flavor.
- Fresh Grated Ginger- Fresh ginger is a classic ingredient in a Pimm’s cup. It is zesty, tangy and spicy. The perfect addition to such a fruity drink.
- Lemon Seltzer- Lemon seltzer gives the Pimm’s cup mocktail more sweet lemon taste and a nice bubbly effervescence.
- Lemonade- Lemonade adds sweetness and bulk to the drink.
- Strawberries- Fresh strawberries are a pretty addition to the mocktail. They also have a nice fruit flavor that goes with the Pimm’s ingredients. Strawberries aren’t a classic part of the drink but we think they work wonderfully!
- Fresh Mint- Mint has a natural cooling effect which makes the drink even more refreshing. It is a little sweet and has a nice menthol taste that goes well with fruit.
It is easy to see why this drink is so popular. It is such a nice blend of ingredients with many complex flavors. It is surprising how delicious they taste together!
Our Pimm’s cup mocktail is very, very simple to put together. The hardest part is measuring! And everyone can do that. Here is how to make our Pimm’s cup recipe.
- Add all the sliced fruits, ginger and lemonade to a large punch bowl. Stir well.
- Add the seltzer and mint leaves and stir again.
- Serve chilled, over ice.
You can make your Pimm’s cup punch ahead of time simply skip the seltzer. You don’t want the seltzer to lose its carbonation. Mix everything else together and then add the seltzer right before you want to serve the drink.
Serve the Pimm’s mocktail in a punch bowl or in a large pitcher. Pour the drink into regular juice glasses or make it look extra fancy in a margarita glass or martini glass.
We have a few tips and tricks you can try to make your Pimm’s mocktail recipe even better. We love it just as it is written but there are a few tweaks and alterations you may want to try. Check these out!
- Add lime sliced to the bowl instead of lemons. This will add a new, tangy taste.
- Cut the fruit into thin, circle slices and then into fourths to make small wedges of fruit. This will fit in a glass well and make sure everyone gets some fruit in their glass.
- Skip the seltzer and use double the amount of lemonade for an uncarbonated version.
- Use ginger ale in place of seltzer for a stronger ginger taste.
- Add raspberries or blueberries to make the Pimm’s cup mocktail even fruitier.
- Double the amount of fresh grated ginger for a more powerful drink. This will really “wow” you and your guests.
- Keep the peel on the cucumber to get some of that green color in the glass. It will also save you time- no peeling needed!
Let us know if you have any favorite tips to make a yummy Pimm’s cup. Everyone always has such unique and tasty ideas! Share them here!
We adore this delicious mocktail and think it is the perfect party drink. Get a little fancy at your next brunch or get together by serving a Pimm’s cup mocktail. We know that everyone will be asking for the recipe!
Have questions about the Pimm’s cup drink? We can help! Take a look at these frequently asked questions and hopefully all your questions will be answered!
What is Pimm’s made of?
Pimm’s is a type of gin. It has 50% alcohol and has a spicy flavor. Pimm’s was the first liquor used to make a pimm’s cup.
What does Pimm’s cup taste like?
Pimm’s cup is a fruity and sweet drink. It is bubbly thanks to the addition of seltzer or ginger ale. It also has a very strong lemon taste from the lemonade and lemon juice. There is a little bit of a bite to the drink from the fresh ginger.
Why is it called Pimm’s cup?
James Pimm invented the Pimm’s cup drink in the early 1800’s. Pimm owned a bar in London where the drink was served. At first, the drink was called “house cup” since it was the main drink served at the bar. It slowly became known as Pimm’s cup and the name stuck!
Why is Pimm’s cup popular in New Orleans?
Pimm’s cup is a lighter cocktail when compared to other alcoholic drinks. Gin is typically thought to be refreshing as is the lemon juice and cucumber in the drink. New Orleans is classically hot and muggy so a refreshing tasty drink is important!