You have probably seen NOS energy drink on the shelf of your local convenience store. They are quite popular! That arrow pointing toward the top of the can sure makes you want to crack one open and drink it up!
While we love the convenience and taste of canned NOS, we also like making our own energy drinks. It just gives us a little more control over the flavors and ingredients of the drink. That is why we decided to make our own NOS drink. We must say that this copy cat NOS Grape GT drink is quite delicious!
If you love NOS, you are going to love this recipe for sure. It’s refreshing, flavorful and has a powerful twist that will keep you energized throughout the day.
What is NOS Energy Drink?
NOS is a super caffeinated energy drink that was designed to improve alertness and boost physical energy levels. It was first developed in 2005. There are currently 6 flavors of NOS including:
- GT Grape
- Nitro Mango
- Sonic Sour
- Power Punch
Most people love NOS due to its tasty flavors and energy boosting power. That is definitely why we like it so much!
What Does NOS Energy Drink Have In It?
Before we dive into our homemade NOS recipe, we wanted to find out what is in a can of NOS. Here is a quick look at the ingredients in NOS:
- Carbonated water
- High fructose corn syrup
- Citric Acid
- Sodium Citrate
- Natural Artificial Flavors, Preservatives and Dyes
- Vitamin B6 and B12
- Guarana Extract
Some of these ingredients you may recognize while others may be a little strange. We wanted to eliminate those “weird” ingredients when we made our recipes and focus on the “real” stuff. We took out the chemicals and unnatural ingredients and made an all natural NOS drink.
Is NOS Energy Drink Healthy?
There are a few ingredients in NOS that are good for you. Vitamin B6, for example, is important for helping build a strong immune system. However, there are quite a few things in NOS that are not truly beneficial.
NOS contains carnitine, an amino acid that can cause digestive discomfort. NOS is also very high in calories and sugar which can cause weight gain when consumed in excess.
The bottom line is that NOS is okay to drink in moderation. One drink a day will be just fine to add to your diet.
Ingredients in NOS Energy Drink Recipe
So you may be wondering what we use to make a homemade NOS energy drink. That’s a great question! Here is what we put into our mix:
- Coconut Water- Coconut water is naturally hydrating and has plenty of healthy electrolytes.
- Grape Juice- Grape juice adds natural sweetness to the drink as well as delicious grape flavor. Be sure to choose grape juice that is made 100% from grapes with no added sugars or preservatives. White or purple grape juice will work!
- Grape Syrup- Grape coffee and drink syrup is the perfect way to make our NOS drink sweet and really amplify the grape flavor. You can buy grape syrup online or look for it in your local grocery store.
- Carbonated Water- The first ingredient in NOS energy drink is carbonated water. Our recipe has it too! Carbonated water adds some nice, refreshing bubbles that makes the drink super easy to drink and very refreshing.
- Guarana Powder- Guarana powder is made from the berries of a fruit tree that grows in the Amazon rainforest. It contains a very high concentration of caffeine and is what gives our NOS drink that super boost of energy.
- Taurine Powder- Taurine has a stimulating effect on the brain. It will help you wake up and also stimulate your nerve growth. NOS has taurine mixed into the can so we wanted to be sure to add this unique ingredient to our recipe too. It is one of the reasons why NOS is so special! Taurine powder has little flavor so it doen’t alter the yummy taste of the drink.
Think you can find all of these ingredients and make your own NOS? We know you can! Once you have everything together, you are ready for the next step!
How to Make NOS Energy Drink
We like easy recipes. We especially like easy recipes when we are tired and really in need of an energy drink. Don’t worry, this recipe is super simple and very fast. Here is what to do:
- Add all of the ingredients to a big pitcher or bowl.
Easy enough, right? It sure is! Everyone can make NOS and everyone will enjoy it. It’s just the best!
Substitutions and Alterations
NOS energy drinks are great but making your own allows you to customize the drink and make it unique and personalized to you. Here are a few ways we like to switch up the NOS drink and make it our own.
- Use ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, and ¾ cup coconut water in place of the grape juice. Use lime syrup in place of grape syrup. Now you have a lemon lime NOS drink that is very close to the Original flavor.
- Skip the carbonated water and use 2 cups extra coconut water instead. This makes a great non carbonated energy drink that many people may prefer.
- Regular water can be used in place of coconut water for a less sweet version.
- Look for sugar free coffee syrup to cut back on the sugar in the drink.
- Skip the guarana powder to reduce the caffeine.
If you think of a way to switch up this NOS drink, let us know! We love to tweak our own recipes and make them exciting and unique.
So are you ready to make your very own NOS energy drink? Are you excited to have this powerful, yummy drink available to you all the time? We hope that you are!
Let us know how much you love your homemade NOS homemade energy drink. We think you will enjoy every, single sip!
You Asked, We’re Answering
Do you have questions about NOS? You can always leave your questions in the comments below! We try to answer ASAP. In the meantime, we hope these frequently asked questions will help clear up any general questions you may have.
Is the energy drink NOS good for you?
NOS is hydrating and has some B vitamins that are fairly healthy. However, as an overall drink, NOS is not necessarily nutritious. It will give you a boost of energy thanks to all the caffeine but too much NOS can cause digestive discomfort, diarrhea, and possibly nerve damage. Drink NOS in moderation and you should be just fine.
Is NOS Energy Drink owned by Monster?
Yes. NOS was recently owned by Coca Cola but they sold the drink to Monster along with several other brand name energy drinks.
Is NOS stronger than Red Bull?
NOS contains about 160mg of caffeine while Red Bull only has about 80mg of caffeine. NOS is clearly more caffeinated and stronger.
How many NOS can you drink a day?
Try to only drink one or a maximum of two NOS cans a day. Too much NOS can cause long term health problems. You can have too much of a good thing!
Leave a Reply