The java chip frappuccino is one of the original iconic Starbucks drinks. It has been around for decades and is still the favorite drink of so many people.
No one can resist that sweet, milkshake-like, chocolate coffee drink! Just thinking about it makes us want one right now…
The only downside to the Starbucks java chip frappuccino is that they are kind of expensive. Too many frappuccinos will start to hurt your wallet! Luckily, you can make frappuccinos at home that taste exactly like the ones they serve at Starbucks.
You are going to be shocked by how similar our recipe is to the Starbucks classic drink! Let us tell you all about the magical java chip frappuccino and how to make it at home so that you can enjoy it any time you want.
Many people have devoted their entire careers to figuring out how to replicate Starbucks drinks at home. We are part of that crew!
The first thing you need to do is figure out what goes into the drink at Starbucks then start experimenting! That is exactly what we did when trying to make our tasty recipe.
So what is in the java chip frappuccino? Here is what Starbucks uses:
- Frappuccino chips
- Whipped Cream
- Mocha Drizzle
These ingredients are the ones listed on Starbucks website. Now, you may have a hard time finding frappuccino chips in your local grocery store. We tried to make our recipe using only ingredients you can easily find in any store. Here are the ingredients you need to make a java chip frappuccino at home:
- Brewed Coffee - Cold brewed coffee is the first ingredient in a java chip frappuccino. So do java chip frappuccinos have caffeine? Yes, they absolutely do!
- Chocolate Syrup - We use just a little bit of chocolate syrup to make our frappuccino sweet and also chocolatey.
- Milk - We like to use whole milk to make our frappuccino because it makes the drink rich and thick, just like in the store.
- Chocolate Chips - Dark chocolate chips are best. You can also use some chopped chocolate or mini chocolate chips. Save a few chocolate chips to add to the top of the whipped cream.
- Ice - Ice makes the frappuccino cold and thick. It is almost like a milkshake!
- Whipped Cream - A little whipped cream on top of the java chip frappuccino is the perfect finishing touch.
All of these ingredients should be available in your local grocery store. You may need to brew your own coffee but we bet you know how to do that!
Our java chip frappuccino recipe is super simple. It is way easier to make a java chip drink than heading to Starbucks to buy one. Take a look at our recipe and you will see just how easy it is.
- Add the brewed coffee, chocolate syrup, milk, chocolate chips and ice to a blender and puree on high speed until thick and smooth. You want to crush the ice as much as possible.
- Pour the frappuccino into two tall glasses.
- Top each with whipped cream, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top and enjoy.
Making a java chip frappuccino is as easy as one, two, three. Now, you never need to drive to Starbucks ever again! Just get out your blender and mix up the perfect frappuccino.
Frappuccinos are made with coffee. Our recipe for making java chip frappuccinos at home is made with coffee and the java chip frappuccino Starbucks makes is also made with coffee. So, yes, these frothy drinks do contain caffeine.
One of the benefits of making java chip frappuccinos at home is that you can choose to use decaf coffee. Using decaf will give you a very low caffeine drink (yes, decaf coffee does have a little caffeine) which is perfect for drinking at night when you want a treat but nothing caffeinated.
Use the same amount of decaf coffee to make a decaf java chip frappuccino. On the other side of the coin, if you want an extra caffeinated frappuccino, replace the coffee with two shots of strong espresso. This will give you a great big boost of energy for sure!
We hope that all you frappuccino lovers give this drink a try. It is quite delicious and so convenient. Now, you can have a Starbucks frappuccino anytime you’d like- even at midnight! Sounds like a good idea to us! Enjoy.
Do you have java chip questions? Hopefully we have the answers! Take a look at our FAQs and answers and feel free to send us any additional questions in the comment section below.
Is java chip coffee or chocolate?
Java chips are just chocolate chips that are used inside coffee drinks. The chocolate chips are purely chocolate but they have a coffee flavor. If a recipe asks for java chips, simply use regular chocolate chips and you will be fine!
What’s the difference between a java chip frappuccino and a mocha frappuccino?
A mocha frappuccino is made with coffee, chocolate, milk and ice. A Java chip frappuccino has the same ingredients as a mocha frappuccino but it also has java chips added to the blender.
Is frappuccino stronger than coffee?
No frappuccino is stronger than a cup of coffee. Yes, they do contain caffeine, but not nearly as much as other Starbucks drinks.
Is frappuccino stronger than latte?
A latte has a stronger coffee flavor than a frappuccino and also a little bit more caffeine. While both drinks do have caffeine, a latte is more forward with the coffee taste and power. Don’t worry though, frappuccinos are made with coffee but they are quite sweet and simply not as strong.