There is nothing quite as tasty as a margarita in the summertime. Actually, there is something that may be better. A mango margarita. Once you have tried a frozen mango margarita, you will never be the same.
Make that drink a frozen mango margarita mocktail and you can drink as many as you want, all day long!
We have created the perfect virgin mango margarita recipe that you are going to go crazy over. It is fruity, refreshing, easy and looks super pretty in a nice margarita glass.
This drink right here is a winner. So let us tell you all about it so you can start making this delicious drink.
What goes into a mango margarita mocktail? Not too much! We try to keep our recipes as simple as possible while still getting as much flavor as possible.
Here are the simple ingredients we use to make our mango margarita recipe and a little bit about each ingredient.
- Limeade- Do you love lemonade? Well then you need to try limeade! Limeade is just like lemonade but made with lime juice instead of lemon juice. It is sweet and tangy. Limeade is what gives this virgin margarita recipe it’s natural margarita flavor. You can usually find limeade in any grocery store. Look in the fresh juice section near the orange juice and you are sure to find a nice big jug of chilled limeade.
- Mango- Be sure to choose a nice ripe mango. Ripe mangos will be sweeter and have less starch. We’ll talk even more about mangos in the next section- they are very important to this recipe!
- Club Soda- Club soda adds a nice fizz to the frozen mango margarita. You can choose to skip the club soda but we definitely recommend it. It cuts some of the sweetness in the drink and elevates it to real, mocktail status rather than just tasting like a yummy smoothie.
- Sugar or Salt- Margaritas are classically rimmed with sugar or salt. Adding a sugared rim will make your drink extra sweet. A salted rim will give the drink an irresistible sweet and salty taste. Both options are delicious and both are optional! Our frozen margarita mocktail will taste delicious even without a fancy rimmed glass.
- Lime Wedge- Add a lime wedge to your glass for a perfect finishing touch. The lime is a classic margarita garnish! Save an extra mango slice as well to add another pretty garnish to the glass.
These are the ingredients that you should have on hand all summer long. You never know when you will need to whip up a quick frozen mango margarita mocktail! You will be blending more often than you think…
The mango is a very important ingredient in our recipe. Afterall, this is a mango margarita! So you want to be sure that your mango is super ripe and that you cut it correctly, getting the most out of your mango as possible.
Here is some quick info about mangos that we know will help you to make the perfect mocktail.
You are not the only one who has wondered how to cut mango. Cutting mango can be tricky but once you learn the tricks, it is super easy.
- Mangos have a very large pit in the center that you need to cut around. To cut a mango, start by holding it upright on a cutting board with the stem facing up.
- Place your knife about ¼ inch away from the stem, cutting the longer side of the mango. Use your knife to saw back and forth gently. A nice, big oval shaped mango should fall right off.
- Turn the mango and make the same cut on the other side of the stem. The mango should now be a skinny, flat oval shape.
- Use a sharp knife to score the oval mango pieces, Hold the mango slice in your hand with the skin side in your palm. Make lengthwise cuts into the mango then crosswise cuts, creating a grid pattern. Do not cut all the way through but stop the knife at the skin of the mango.
- Press the skin side upward so the cut flesh sticks up and pops out.
- Use your knife to cut the mango chunks off of the skin. The pieces should fall right off as you cut, giving you perfect mango bites.
Once you learn how to cut a mango, you will almost instantly become a pro. Cutting a mango can actually be fun. It is cool when all that fruit pops right up from the skin in perfect cubes.
The peel of the mango will be removed when you cut the fruit. It is easy to keep the peel on as you cut, only removing it when you slice off the scored fruit. The peel helps pop the fruit up, making it easy to slice off.
You can use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin of the mango. A peeler will take a nice thin layer off of the outside, leaving you with lots of mango flesh. It can be tricky to use a peeler when the mango is super ripe. Cutting the peel off as the final step of cutting a mango is typically the best method.
I have often wondered how to tell if a mango is ripe. You can’t exactly bite into it in the middle of the grocery store!
A ripe mango should have a strong sweet smell. You should be able to smell the juicy fruit easily.
Give the mango a gentle squeeze. It should give a little under your fingers. An unripe mango will be hard and tough but a ripe mango will be slightly softer. This is the best way to tell if a mango is ripe!
Once you cut into the mango, you should see a bright orange flesh. If the mango is pale or yellowish, it probably isn’t very ripe. You want that beautiful orange color!
If your mango is super hard and not ripe, you can help it get ripe faster. Place your unripened mango in a paper bag. Close the bag and let it sit in a warm place overnight. Your kitchen counter should be just fine! The mango will release ethylene inside the bag which will help it ripen faster.
Once your mango is ripe and nicely cut, it is time to eat! How to eat a mango is a tricky question because a good mango is delicious in so many different ways. Here are a few idea about how to eat a mango:
- Eat it plain with a fork
- Add it to a fruit salad
- Sprinkle a little chili powder and lime juice over the top
- Add some mango to your ice cream bowl
- Bake a mango tart or pie
- Blend a perfect frozen mango margarita mocktail using this recipe!
There is really no wrong way to eat a mango. It is such a delicious fruit that you really can’t go wrong!
Making a mango margarita mocktail is very simple. It only takes a few minutes to put this tasty, summer mocktail together. Here is what you need to do.
- Add the fresh chopped mango and limeade to a blender. Puree the mix until very smooth. You want to make no chunks at all!
- Add the ice and club soda and puree to blend the ice.
- Pour the fizzy mango mocktail into a sugar or salt rimmed glass.
- Garnish with a lime slice and enjoy!
How simple is that? The blender will really do all the work for you! Aren’t kitchen appliances just the best?!
We have made this frozen mango margarita recipe many times. We have also come up with quite a few tricks to ensure the drink is as incredible as possible. Take a look before you get started.
- Use 2 cups of frozen mango and then skip the ice in the recipe. The cold fruit will give the drink that perfect slushy texture. Using frozen mango in place of ice will also increase the mango flavor.
- If you can’t find limeade, use 1 ½ cups lemonade and ½ cup fresh lime juice
- Puree the mango and limeade then add the ice to make a smooth slushy mix. Stir in the club soda with a spoon to keep a little more of the fizz.
- Use seltzer or ginger ale in place of club soda. Sprite will also work well, adding a nice lemon lime flavor to the drink.
We know that you will try this frozen mango margarita mocktail once and be in love. Remember all the tips about how to tell if a mango is ripe and how to cut a mango and you will be a mango drink making expert in no time! Enjoy!