Since blueberry season is coming up, it seems everything is blueberry flavored. There is fresh blueberry juice, blueberry muffins and even blueberry red bull in stock on grocery store shelves.
Blueberry beer also seems to be taking front row on the “spring trend” list.
While we like to stick to the non alcoholic drinks, blueberry beer sounded too interesting to pass by. So, we decided to create our own alcohol free blueberry beer drink.
Since it is spring and the weather is starting to warm up, we decided to put a blueberry twist on the classic root beer float. A blueberry beer ice cream float sounds almost too good to be true!
Let us tell you all about how to make this tasty drink.
Our blueberry float recipe starts with homemade blueberry juice. Blueberry juice is very easy to make if you have fresh blueberries on hand.
All you need to do is puree the blueberries until smooth and you will have a thick, blueberry puree that can be added to almost anything!
We sweeten our blueberry puree with a little sugar. We also add a bit of vanilla bean paste to make the flavor more rich and decadent.
However, if your blueberries are super sweet and ripe, you can skip the extra sugar and cut back on a few calories. The drink will be sweet enough with all the ice cream we are adding later on…
If you want to use the blueberry puree mix to make a refreshing blueberry juice to sip in the summer, simply add 2 cups of cold water to the blueberry puree. This makes a perfect blueberry drink that you can enjoy all blueberry season long!
Besides being truly delicious, blueberries are very healthy. You can feel good about adding blueberries to your daily drink routine! Take a quick look at some of the blueberry health benefits and then let’s get ready to make a blueberry beer float!
- Full of antioxidants that help rejuvenate the body and protect against certain cancers.
- May lower blood pressure
- Can help prevent heart disease
- Low in calories but very high in vitamins and minerals
- Reduce the levels of LDL cholesterol in the bloodstream
- Help maintain brain function and improve memory
- Can help fight urinary tract infections
Looks like adding blueberries and blueberry juice to your daily diet is a great idea! So let’s start making some fresh blueberry beer floats!
You only need five ingredients to make our non alcoholic blueberry beer float. Take a look at what we use to make this tasty seasonal drink.
- Fresh blueberries- you should be able to find lots of fresh blueberries during blueberry season! Any variety of blueberry will work. Try a Japanese blueberry or even some pink lemonade blueberries that will give your drink a pinkish hue.
- Sugar- A little sugar ensures that your drink will be perfectly sweet. You can choose to skip the sugar if your blueberries are already sweet. However, if your blueberries are a little tart, sugar will work magic.
- Vanilla Bean Paste- Vanilla bean paste is a thick vanilla syrup. It is more potent than vanilla extract and has beautiful black specks of vanilla bean throughout the mix. If you can’t find vanilla bean paste, use 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract in its place. It won’t be quite as strong but it will get the job done!
- Root Beer- Use a high quality root beer to make the best tasting float. You may be able to find a locally made root beer but classic A&W root beer will work! Just be sure to open the bottle right before making a blueberry beer float so you get maximum carbonation.
- Vanilla Ice Cream- A good, creamy vanilla ice cream makes this drink more of a dessert. Look for vanilla bean ice cream which has those pretty vanilla specks we like!
Everything you need to make a blueberry beer float should be at your local grocery store. Blueberries should be front and center on the shelves during blueberry season. Isn’t blueberry season a great time of year?
Our non alcoholic blueberry beer float is so simple to make. You can have a fresh, fruity ice cream float in no time! Here is what you need to do.
- Make a blueberry puree by blending blueberries, sugar and vanilla bean paste together until very smooth. Let the blender run to ensure the puree is as smooth as possible.
- Divide the puree between two glasses.
- Pour the root beer into each glass. Pouring the root beer will instantly mix it with the puree but you can also give the mix a quick stir just to really make the root beer blueberry filled.
- Top the drink with a scoop of ice cream and enjoy!
It is so simple to make this tasty blueberry drink that you can make it daily. It is great as an afternoon treat, a breakfast surprise or even as a dessert.
There are a few ways to tweak this virgin blueberry beer float recipe. We love the fruity root beer float just as it is but sometimes it is fun to play around with the recipe and switch up an ingredient or two!
Here are a few things we have tried that work really well.
- Use cream soda in place of root beer for a blueberry cream soda ice cream float
- Use red bull in place of root beer to make a super interesting blueberry red bull float. This tasty drink will give you a boost of sweet energy to help you power through the day! Use blueberry red bull if you can find it for extra blueberry flavor.
- Use huckleberries in place of blueberries. When looking at a huckleberry vs blueberry, you will find the two fruits are almost identical. Blueberries have more soft seeds while huckleberries have harder seeds. However, if you only have huckleberries, they will work perfectly in this drink!
- Use almond extract in place of vanilla bean paste for a nutty twist on the float
- Use caramel ice cream in place of vanilla for a sweeter drink.
Our blueberry beer recipe is pretty flexible so get creative. Change up the berries, try switching the soda and see what tastes good!
Keep the fruity flavor in mind when you make any alterations. We are trying to celebrate blueberry season after all!
We hope you give this blueberry beer float recipe a try. It really is quite yummy. Thank you to whoever came up with blueberry beer.
We may not have thought of blending fresh fruit into our favorite root beer float but now we just can’t live without this tasty drink! Enjoy.