There is something about watermelon that automatically makes you think of summer. The juicy red melon really is such an iconic summer fruit. Almost everyone has enjoyed a big watermelon slice as a way to cool down in the summer!
We wanted to take that refreshing, juicy watermelon and make it into the perfect summer drink. Of course, our watermelon drink needs to be alcohol free and still totally irresistible. That is not a problem! Our watermelon mocktail is definitely a drink you will crave all summer long. Let us tell you all about it.
Our watermelon mocktail recipe is made with just a few simple ingredients. We like to keep our drinks as easy as possible but still be flavorful and exciting. Here is what we use to make our delicious watermelon mocktail.
- Fresh Watermelon- Nothing beats the flavor of a fresh watermelon. Grab some pre-chopped watermelon at your local store or pick up a whole big melon. If it’s summer and it’s hot, you will definitely eat the whole thing!
- Lime juice- Fresh lime juice adds a perfect, tangy taste to the recipe. It brightens up the drink and it compliments the sweet taste of the watermelon.
- Fresh mint- Fresh mint adds a subtle sweet and vibrant taste to the drink. Mint is known to have a cooling sensation that really helps make this watermelon mint mocktail even more refreshing.
- Sugar- A little sugar adds sweetness and increases the flavors of the other ingredients. The grainy sugar also helps muddle the mint and extract the flavor from the mint leaves.
- Lemon seltzer- Lemon seltzer adds a nice bubbly texture to the watermelon mocktail. The bubbles are refreshing and fun but feel free to skip the seltzer if you want a mocktail without carbonation.
We love how all of the ingredients for our watermelon mocktail recipe can easily be found in any grocery store. This is especially true in the summer when mint and watermelon are in season and very easy to find.
Making a watermelon mocktail is pretty simple. There are a few classic cocktail steps in the drink which make it a little fancy. Muddling mint and using a cocktail shaker make the watermelon mocktail more like a mocktail than just a glass of watermelon juice. Here is a quick look at how to make a watermelon mint mocktail.
- Place the freshly chopped watermelon in a blender and puree until the juice is smooth.
- Pour the watermelon juice through a sieve to remove any remaining pieces. Throw away the watermelon chunks and save the pure, clear juice.
- Add the mint and sugar to a cocktail shaker and crush the two ingredients together with a muddler.
- Add the watermelon juice and lime juice to the cocktail shaker then fill with ice. Cover and shake hard for about 15 seconds. This will cool the juice and also infuse sweet minty flavor in the watermelon juice.
- Strain the mocktail through the cocktail shaker, holding back the ice and mint. We like to use highball glasses that are just the right size and have that cocktail feel.
- Top each drink with lemon seltzer and serve with a cocktail straw, a mini slice of watermelon and a fresh mint leaf.
Making a delicious drink should be fun and we definitely think that making this watermelon mocktail is exciting. It allows you to have a little bartending flair while still being pretty easy and straightforward. It will impress your friends but not take you hours to prepare. A nice watermelon mocktail is a total win!
We think our watermelon mint mocktail is perfect just how it is in our recipe. However, we also know that everyone has their own personal preferences! We have a few substitutions and alterations that you may want to try to make a watermelon mocktail that is purely perfect for you!
- Use watermelon juice in place of chopped watermelon. This makes the mocktail even easier as you can skip the blending portion of the recipe. Use 1 ½ cups watermelon juice to replace the 2 cups chopped watermelon.
- Skip the mint leaves to have a pure watermelon mocktail. Some people find the mint overpowering. We think it is just simply refreshing! However, you can easily eliminate it.
- Use lemon, lime, or plain seltzer. Each one will taste great.
- Replace the seltzer with kombucha. Kombucha has lots of nutritional benefits and can make your watermelon mocktail taste good and be good for you. Our homemade grapefruit kombucha will be absolutely delicious in this watermelon mocktail recipe.
- Use brown sugar to give the mocktail a richer, sweeter taste.
If you think of any unique or interesting tips and tricks, let us know! We love to hear about different ways to make this delicious watermelon mocktail.
A watermelon mint mocktail is the perfect drink to make on a hot summers day. It is great in the morning, perfect in the afternoon and a wonderful drink to end your day. It is sure to put a smile on your face no matter when you sip on this yummy mocktail. Enjoy!
As the mocktail experts, we get a lot of questions about how to make mocktails perfectly. Hopefully these frequently asked questions and answers about our watermelon mocktail will help you make a great drink. You can always leave any other questions you may have in the comments below!
What flavors mix well with watermelon?
The best flavors to mix with watermelon are mint, lime salt, lemon, almon, berries, coconut and even jalapeno. Add a few jalapeno slices to the cocktail shaker for this drink recipe to make a spicy watermelon mocktail. It is a great, delicious and exciting twist!
What is watermelon mocktail?
A watermelon mocktail is a fancy, mixed drink that does not contain alcohol. Our drink has watermelon, lime juice, sugar, mint and seltzer.
Does alcohol and watermelon go together?
Alcohol and watermelon do go together. However, we prefer to skip the alcohol and make a delicious mocktail instead. You will be able to taste the great flavors of watermelon, mint and lime juice when you skip the alcohol.