It is starting to get hot outside and that only means one thing- you need a new, refreshing drink. You want to make sure you stay hydrated and refreshed all summer long! A big glass of watermelon agua fresca is exactly what you need.
What is Agua Fresca?
Agua fresca is a lightly sweetened, non alcoholic, fruit based drink that is very popular in central and south America. The name “agua fresca” literally translates to mean “fresh water”. This usually means the juice from fresh fruit that has been squeezed or pureed and strained.
Types of Agua Fresca
There as many types of agua fresca as there are types of fruit. You can really make agua fresca from any kind of fruit you’d like! The juicier the fruit, the better. You will get more agua fresca juice from the fruits that have the most natural waters.
Here are just a few of our favorite types of agua fresca (of course, watermelon agua fresca is on the list!).
- Passion Fruit
You can blend different fruits to make your own agua fresca creations. You can also add simple herbs to make the drinks even more refreshing and flavorful. Ginger, thyme, rosemary, mint and cinnamon are just a few examples of herbs and spices you may love. Get creative. The possibilities are endless! But if you want a perfect watermelon agua fresca recipe, just keep reading!
Ingredients in Watermelon Agua Fresca
One of the best things about aguas frescas is that they are so simple to make. The key to a great agua fresca is to not use too many ingredients. Aguas frescas should be simple and very quick to make. They should be just as easy as pouring yourself a glass of water!
Here are the ingredients we use to make our delicious watermelon agua fresca:
- Watermelon- Fresh cubed watermelon is essential in this recipe. Look for the ripest watermelon you can find. A ripe watermelon will feel heavy and have a golden side on the bottom which shows where it sat on the ground. If you are buying pre-cut watermelon, look for watermelon that is bright red. The redder the melon, the juicier it will be!
- Water-A little water will help get the blender started and really make the mix smooth. You can skip the water in the recipe if your melon is very juicy and ripe.
- Sugar- You can’t go wrong with a little extra sweetness and sugar is an easy, cheap way to sweeten your agua fresca. Feel free to skip the sugar or replace it with some natural honey. Even a little maple syrup or agave nectar would make a good sweetener.
- Lime Juice- Lime juice makes the watermelon agua fresca taste bright and bold. It really improved the flavor of the drink and makes it taste like a real agua fresca rather than tasting like you’re just drinking a straight watermelon. Use lime juice or lemon juice, both will have the same, refreshing effect.
You should be able to find all of these ingredients in your local grocery store. They are pretty easy to find, especially in the summer when watermelons are ripe and in season.
How to Make Watermelon Agua Fresca
Watermelon agua fresca is one of the easiest drinks to make. It is so simple and fast that it will take you just 5 minutes to make a huge pitcher. We know what will be your go-to summer drink for parties and brunch get togethers this year….
Here is a quick look at how to make watermelon agua fresca.
- Put all the watermelon agua fresca ingredients into a blender and puree until very smooth.
- Pour the mix through a mesh sieve to strain it. You want the agua fresca to be really smooth and have no pieces. It should have the same consistency as water! Pouring the mix through a sieve is the best way to get the juice to have a water-like texture.
- Chill the watermelon agua fresca in the fridge to enjoy later or pour it right into a glass with ice.
We know that everyone can make this recipe. If you can operate a blender, then you will be an agua fresca pro. It’s as simple as that!
Agua fresca is such a great alternative to regular old water. It is more flavorful, more nutritious and much more interesting than just drinking plain water. Give our watermelon agua fresca recipe a try and let us know what you think. Well, you don’t actually have to tell us what you think, we already know you will love it!
You Asked, We’re Answering
Got some questions about watermelon agua fresca? Hopefully we answer them here! If there is something you are still wondering, feel free to leave your question in the comments below and we will try to answer ASAP!
Are Agua Fresca good for you?
Yes! Agua fresca is good for you. They are full of vitamins and minerals thanks to the fresh fruit they are made with. They also keep you hydrated which is essential. Skip the sugar in our agua fresca recipe if you’d like to make the drink even healthier. While sugar does add a nice sweetness, it is not necessary and does add carbs.
How many Calories are in a cup of watermelon agua fresca?
A cup of watermelon agua fresca has about 92 calories. It is a little high in carbs with around 20 grams per cup. However, those natural sugars are full of vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin B-6. There is also a good amount of dietary fiber with about 1.4 grams per glass.
Is agua fresca alcohol?
No! Agua fresca is not alcoholic. That is why we love it so much!
What is the most popular soda in Mexico?
Coca Cola is the most popular soda in Mexico followed closely by Pepsi. However, drinking homemade agua frescas is quite trendy, too!
Leave a Reply