We love a good, fruity drink in the summer. We also love classic drinks that everyone knows and loves. Margaritas definitely fit both of these descriptions.
Everyone loves a good margarita and they are the perfect, refreshing drink to sip in the hot summer heat.
Actually, margaritas are delicious anytime of year! Especially when you are drinking a virgin margarita.
What is a Margarita?
A classic margarita is an alcoholic drink. It is made primarily with tequila and sometimes orange flavored liquor as well. This is the part of the margarita that we wanted to recreate and eliminate the alcohol completely.
We specialize in virgin drinks so we knew we would be able to make something fantastic and better than any alcoholic margarita.
The other notable flavors in a margarita are the fresh lime and lemon. Margaritas are known to be tangy and sweet. That zesty but sweet taste is what we wanted to focus on when we created our virgin margarita recipe.
We think we nailed it! Of course, you will have to try our virgin margarita to find out.
A virgin margarita is a delicious, vibrant drink that has an incredible lemon lime flavor. Our virgin margarita is also a little fizzy to give the drink even more life. Here is what we use to make our virgin margarita recipe:
- Lime juice- fresh squeezed lime juice is the hallmark taste in any margarita recipe
- Lemon juice- Lemon juice is just as much of a signature taste as lime juice. Use fresh lemon juice for the best flavor
- Orange juice- Orange juice adds a hint of orange flavor. Classic margaritas have orange liquor so we wanted to be sure to get that orange taste into our virgin margarita without any of the alcohol.
- Simple syrup- Margaritas are a little sweet which makes them easy to drink
- Lemon club soda- Lemon club soda is refreshing, bubbly and adds some extra lemon taste to the virgin margarita
- Lime wedges- Lime wedges are the classic garnish for margaritas.
- Salt or sugar- A rim of salt or sugar is another traditional garnish for our drink. You can skip the salt or sugar if you would like a simpler margarita. If you want to use salt, use large grained kosher salt. If you want to use sugar, try to find coarse sugar.
- Ice- Margaritas are best served cold!
Almost all of the ingredients you need to make a perfect virgin margarita are right in your local grocery store’s fruit aisle. Isn’t making fresh, exciting drinks the absolute best!
Once you have all of the ingredients you need to make a virgin margarita, you are ready to mix! It isn’t difficult to make a fantastic virgin margarita and you can be ready to drink this refreshing beverage in about 5 minutes.
Here is what you need to do:
- Rim your glasses in salt or sugar if you choose this option.
- Add the lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker with ice, cover and shake for about ten seconds.
- Strain the mix into your prepared glasses then top the fruit blend with lemon club soda.
Delicious virgin margaritas are so easy and quick to whip up. Using the cocktail shaker will make you look like a true mixologist! We love when mocktails look just as impressive as they taste.
We love the fresh taste of lemon and lime that dominate every margarita. It’s that signature citrus taste that really makes this non alcoholic drink so yummy.
However, flavoring margaritas is another classic way to serve the drink. Go into any Mexican themed restaurant and they likely have multiple flavors of margaritas on the menu, each one more delicious than the last.
Our virgin margarita recipe can easily be tweaked and altered to have more fruity flavor that you will love. Here are a few of our flavored virgin margarita alterations that you can try:
- Make a virgin strawberry margarita by adding ½ cup strawberry puree to the cocktail shaker and giving the ingredients a good shake.
- Create a virgin mango margarita by mixing ½ cup mango puree into your margarita mix
- A non alcoholic pineapple margarita is easy to make just by adding ¼ cup pineapple juice to the cocktail shaker.
- Add ¼ cup watermelon juice to the cocktail shaker along with the other margarita ingredients to create a fruit, summery virgin drink.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of Monin chipotle pineapple syrup to the margarita mix for a spicy and tropical virgin margarita.
- Make a virgin tequila sour recipe using this margarita recipe. Whats in a tequila sour? Lemon juice, lime juice, tequila (which we will skip!) and bitters. Simply add 2-3 dashes of bitters to the cocktail shaker and you will have some perfect virgin tequila sours read to go!
As you can see, the possibilities are endless! Almost any fruit puree or juice will blend right into our virgin margarita recipe. Using flavored cocktail syrups is also a fantastic, easy way to add interesting flavors to your glass.
Give a few of our recipe ideas a try and let us know if you come up with any other delicious virgin drinks. We love testing out new mocktails!
Give our delicious virgin margarita recipe a try and let us know what you think. It is refreshing, vibrant and so simple to make. You can definitely enjoy classic margarita flavors while sticking to a non alcoholic lifestyle.
And it will feel and taste soooo good.
Making a nre drink recipe can be daunting. You may have a few questions before you start shaking that cocktail shaker. We tried to answer some of those questions here for you. If you are still wondering something about virgin margaritas, let us know in the comments below! We will try to answer as soon as possible!
What are virgin margaritas made of?
Virgin margaritas are usually made with lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice and sweetener. They can also have seltzer, sparkling water or soda mixed in to give the drink more volume and bubbly taste.
Is there non-alcoholic margarita mix?
There are non alcoholic margarita mixes on the market. You can usually find them in your local liquor store near other drink mixes. Most store bought margarita mixes are actually non alcoholic.
Check the label to be sure! The price will also be a good indicator as a non alcoholic margarita mix will not be too expensive (the liquor is the pricey part!).
What is a non-alcoholic substitute for tequila?
Most mocktail recipes leave out the tequila and add in club soda or seltzer. This gives the drink a little bit of a kick without having alcohol.
There is non alcoholic tequila that you can try to add to your margaritas however the taste can be very different. Rather than using pretend liquor, we always like to stick to finding new ingredients to make a classic drink taste delicious. However, the choice is yours!
Can you ask for a virgin margarita?
You definitely can ask for a virgin margarita. If you are out at a restaurant or bar, a virgin margarita can be a great drink choice. Expect to get a lemon lime flavored drink with a touch of seltzer or soda.
Ask for a splash or orange juice to make the drink a little more exciting. You can also ask for your virgin margarita to be made frozen or “on the rocks” which simply means served on ice.