Have you ever heard of a French 75 cocktail? If you have, then you know how delicious this drink can be.
If the French 75 drink is new to you, then get ready to enjoy a brand new, fantastic drink. Let us tell you all about it!
The French 75 cocktail is made using gin, lemon juice, simple syrup and champagne. The drink is bubbly and fancy but also pretty potent. Our virgin French 75 recipe skips the alcohol but keeps the delicious flavor of the classic cocktail.
Cocktails are often named after people or events that occurred around the time the cocktail was born. This is definitely the case with the French 75 cocktail.
The French 75 cocktail is named after the French 75 millimeter gun. It was a very powerful gun especially back in the first world war. The French 75 cocktail was invented around the same time that the gun was seeing it’s heyday.
A French bartender created the cocktail, calling it “soixante-quinze” which means 75. The drink was dubbed as being “lethal” and a drink that would “knock you flat”. It is quite strong! Just like the machine gun.
The classic French 75 cocktail recipe is made with gin, lemon juice, simple syrup and champagne. We took this traditional french 75 drink recipe and completely eliminated the alcohol. Here is what we use in our French 75 mocktail.
- Ritual Gin alternative- Ritual gin alternative is a non alcoholic gin. You get all the flavor of gin without any of the alcohol. Read the section below to hear a little more about Ritual gin.
- Simple Syrup- Simple syrup sweetens the drink easily. Blending syrup into a drink makes it sweet without being gritty. Check out our easy simple syrup recipe here.
- Lemon Juice- Lemon juice makes the drink vibrate and bright. It also adds a nice tart flavor to such a sweet drink.
- Sparkling Grape Juice- Sparkling grape juice makes the drink bubbly and fruity. It takes the place of champagne that is in traditional French 75 recipes.
Those four ingredients are all you need to make a perfect non alcoholic French 75! Let us tell you a little more about the non alcoholic gin replacement.
What is Non Alcoholic Gin?
Ritual bran gin alternative is the perfect substitute for gin in our mocktail recipe. It is a drink made with botanicals like cucumber and juniper. The same herbs and spices that are used to make gin are used in Ritual Gin Alternative.
You get all that delicious flavor without any of the alcohol!
Ritual Gin Alternative is also gluten free, low calorie and non GMO. you can use it to replace gin in any recipe, using the exact same amount of Ritual as regular gin.
Using liquor replacements like this are great for making non alcoholic cocktails. You don’t have to change the original, classic drink too much and get all the flavor you are looking for!
The French 75 is a very easy drink to make. It doesn’t take much skill or bartending no how to blend up a fancy drink like this. Take a quick look at how to make our French 75 drink recipe and then start blending!
- Add the Ritual Gin Alternative, lemon juice and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker.
- Cover and shake for about 15 seconds.
- Put the strainer on the cocktail shaker and pour the drink into a champagne glass.
- Top the drink with the sparkling grape juice.
We like to garnish our virgin French 75 recipe with a lemon twist. A simple lemon wedge or lemon slice will work great as well.
Take a look at these tips and tricks that will help you create the perfect French 75 mocktail.
- Use lime juice in place of lemon juice for a tangier taste
- Use honey in place of simple syrup for a richer taste
- Use sparkling apple cider in place of grape juice for an apple taste
- Use another brand of non alcoholic gin replacement. We like the flavor of Ritual best but Monday Zero Alcohol Gin and Free Spirits is also great. Give them all a try and see which you like best.
- Serve the drink over ice in a highball glass for a new twist on presentation.
If you have any tips or tricks, please share them with us. We always want to hear new ways to make our drinks even better. We are all on this alcohol free journey together!
We love taking traditional cocktails and making them alcohol free. This virgin French 75 recipe was fun to make and surprised us in how good it was.
You could say we were “knocked flat” by its tasty flavors! Enjoy.
We try to answer as many of your questions as we can. You can always leave questions in the comments below! Here are a few frequently asked questions and answers that may help you, too!
What is in a French 75 Cocktail?
The classic French 75 cocktail has gin, simple syrup, lemon juice and champagne. Our non alcoholic version has a delicious gin alternative alcohol free liquor and sparkling grape juice.
Is French 75 a girly drink?
The French 75 is a fancy drink but it is not necessarily “girly”. It is named after a machine gun after all! It is for everyone to enjoy! If you like lemon, gin and bubbles, this is the drink for you.
Why is the cocktail called French 75?
This French cocktail is named after the French 75 millimeter field gun used in World War I. The drink was created during the war and was said to “knock you flat”, just like the gun would.
Is French 75 strong?
The French 75 is a fairly strong drink. It is made with gin and champagne, combining two types of alcohol in one glass. The lemon flavor is also quite powerful but delicious! The drink may be strong but it is still tasty.