Who here is a fan of the Starbucks Doubleshot? I bet almost anyone who reads this would raise their hand! The Starbucks Doubleshot espresso drink is the go to pick-me-up for many people. It has a ton of caffeine to get you going and it tastes pretty great.
Want to know a secret? The Starbucks Doubleshot is also very easy to make. It only takes about two minutes to whip up and you can do it in the comfort of your own home. No more running to your local Starbucks to get your afternoon energy or searching for a can of Doubleshot in the fridge of a nearby gas station. Just use this recipe and make your own! We will tell you how.
- Simple Syrup- Simple syrup is a basic syrup made from sugar and water. Use our recipe here to make your own simple syrup. You can also buy simple syrup in bottles at most coffee shops or online.
- Espresso- Hot, brewed espresso is needed for this recipe. You can use instant powdered espresso which is a great option for anyone who does not have an espresso machine. You can simply whisk the instant espresso into hot water and have a caffeinated beverage ready to go. Brewing your own espresso in an espresso machine is ideal. You will need three shots of espresso to make a Starbucks grande size drink.
- Heavy cream- Starbucks Doubleshot is made with heavy cream floated on top of the drink. You can use any kind of milk in place of heavy cream for a lighter version. However, if you want that thick creamy texture, use the heavy cream!
Making Starbucks Doubleshot is super simple. It only takes about two minutes to make a Starbucks Doubleshot espresso. That is way faster than any Starbucks line! Here is what you need to do:
- Add the brewed espresso, simple syrup and ice to a cocktail shaker.
- Add the heavy cream as well.
- Cover and shake the cocktail shaker vigorously. The heavy cream will start to thicken and the drink will get foamy.
- Open the cocktail shaker and pour the entire mix into the glass. Add a straw and enjoy!
If you order a Starbucks double shot at the store, they often mix the espresso and simple syrup together in a glass and then slowly pour the cream on top. While this does look pretty, we like the cream fully mixed in. You can choose to make the drink however you’d like!
One of the biggest appeals of the Starbucks Doubleshot is that it is loaded with caffeine. It is a great drink to give you a boost of energy any time of day. But how much caffeine in starbucks doubleshot espresso is there really?
A tall sized doubleshot has about 128 mg of caffeine. The five ounce can of Starbuck doubleshot has about the same, with 125 mg of caffeine per can. The amount of caffeine will vary based on the size of the drink you order. A grande Doubleshot is actually made with three shots of espresso and has 192 mg of caffeine. This is what our recipe contains, too! To put this into perspective, an 8 ounce cup of black coffee has about 150 mg of caffeine. So our doubleshot recipe has more caffeine than a regular coffee and tastes better. A little cream and some simple syrup goes a long way!
If you are buying a can of Starbucks Doubleshot Energy, caffeine levels will vary again. One can will have about 145 mg of caffeine. This is from the espresso, sugar and guarana addition. These potent ingredients will definitely give you a good boost of energy that you need!
Next time you need some energy or are just looking for a good espresso drink, give our recipe a try. It is just as good as any Starbucks Doubleshot and way more economical and time saving. You are going to love it!
Do you have questions about our copycat Starbucks double shot? Leave any questions in the comment section below! You can also take a look at these frequently asked questions and answers and see if we answer your question here.
Is Starbucks discontinuing doubleshot?
As of right now, Starbucks is not discontinuing the Doubleshot drink in stores or the canned drinks. It is too popular to discontinue! There was a recall on the Starbucks Doubleshot a few years ago which spooked many coffee lovers. However, the problem was fixed and you can find those delicious brown cans on the shelves again!
What happened to the Starbucks doubleshot cans?
In 2021, many of the Starbucks Doubleshot Espresso cans were recalled. There was a potential problem with the seal of the cans and the cans were voluntarily removed from the shelves. The problem was addressed and the drink was back on the shelves shortly after.
What is the strongest coffee from Starbucks?
The Starbucks Clover brewed Sumatra roast, Italian roast and French roast have the most caffeine with about 380 mg of caffeine in a grande sized cup. A clover brewed coffee is made in a very unique, high tech brewing machine that uses both a plunger and a vacuum to make a highly caffeinated drink. Not every Starbucks has a clover machine so you won’t be able to find this coffee in every shop. Look for the bigger Starbucks stores in popular locations and hopefully you will be able to get a clover brewed coffee.
Is a Starbucks Doubleshot sweet?
Yes, the drink is slightly sweetened with a touch of simple syrup. You can ask for no syrup if you prefer an unsweetened drink. You can also ask for double the sweetness if you want a sweeter drink.