Peanut punch is a true Caribbean treat. In fact, it is one of the best non alcoholic tropical drinks we know! It is definitely a drink that you should try to make at home. Bring a little slice of the Caribbean home with this Jamaican peanut punch recipe.
Peanut punch is a delicious, sweet and nutty drink that originated in Jamaica. It is now popular all over the Caribbean, with Trinidad and Tobago being the biggest peanut punch drinkers.
Peanut punch is made with peanuts or peanut butter, milk, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and a pinch of spice. Peanut punch is delicious served cold and is often chilled over ice. Try peanut punch as a warm drink for a whole new twist on this tasty non alcoholic beverage!
We tried to stick to the classic ingredients in our peanut punch. We looked at traditional recipes for peanut punch and then put our own little twist on the tasty drink. Here are the ingredients we use to make our peanut punch recipe.
- Plain Peanuts- Plain peanuts are the main flavor in this recipe. Be sure to use plain, uncooked, unsalted peanuts.
- Coconut Milk- Coconut milk adds a nice tropical flavor to the drink. Choose canned coconut milk, preferably unsweetened. Be sure to grab a can of coconut milk rather than coconut cream (which is super sweet and thick).
- Sweetened Condensed Milk- Sweetened condensed milk is the classic sweetener for peanut punch. It blends perfectly into the drink, giving it a vanilla sweetness.
- Vanilla Extract- A nice vanilla taste adds warmth and depth to the punch.
- Cinnamon and Nutmeg- A little bit of spice is the perfect finishing touch in peanut punch. Nutmeg is the classic spice in Jamaican peanut punch but we like the addition of cinnamon as well.
We love our Jamaican peanut punch exactly as our recipe is written. However, we do have a few variations and tweaks that you can make to change it up a little bit. Keep reading to discover a few tips and tricks!
Authentic peanut punch does take a little time to make. It is not a challenging recipe and we know anyone will be able to make this tasty punch. You just need to follow each step slowly and your punch will be fantastic! Here is how to make peanut punch.
- Spread the peanuts on a baking tray and roast them in a hot oven. Nuts roast quickly so be sure to check them after just five minutes. You will be able to smell the strong nutty aroma when the nuts are done.
- Once the nuts are roasted, puree them in a high speed blender with the coconut milk. Try to make the peanut pieces as small as possible. Blend for at least a minute!
- Pour the peanut puree through a cheesecloth. Squeeze the puree well, getting as much juice out of the puree as possible.
- Discard the peanut pulp or save it for smoothies. It will add a lot of fiber to your smoothie recipes!
- Whisk the remaining ingredients into the peanut juice until smooth.
- Refrigerate the peanut punch or serve it over ice right away.
Our peanut punch recipe makes four smaller sized servings of punch. You can easily double or triple this recipe to make larger quantities of punch. Keep in mind that it will only stay good in your fridge for about a week. However, you should have no problem drinking all the delicious, nutty punch in that amount of time!
There are a few ways to make this Jamaican peanut punch a little different. Some of the substitutions are fairly common. For example, many peanut punch recipes use sugar in place of sweetened condensed milk. Some of the variations are our own creations that we know you will love. Take a look and see what you want to try!
- Use almond milk in place of coconut milk for a nuttier taste
- Use almond extract in place of vanilla extract for a nuttier flavor.
- Use ½ cup white sugar in place of sweetened condensed milk. You will also need to increase the coconut milk to 1 ¾ cups. Try using light brown sugar to give your drink a richer taste.
- Replace the roasted peanuts with peanut butter. ½ cup of peanut butter can be used to replace the 1 cup of peanuts. Blend and strain the peanut butter and coconut milk just as directed in the recipe.
- Top the peanut punch with whipped cream and a sprinkle of crushed peanuts.
- Blend the peanut punch with about 2 cups of ice to make a peanut punch smoothie.
These are just a few great ideas for making tasty peanut punch. Let us know if you think of any other amazing ways to switch up the recipe. We love hearing how you put your own twists on our delicious non alcoholic drinks.
Our peanut punch recipe is one that you will make time and again. It is ideal for all the peanut lovers out there who just can’t get enough peanuts! Give this Jamaican peanut punch a try and let us know what you think. We hope that each sip gives you the feeling of being right in the middle of a Caribbean beach! Enjoy.
Do you still have questions about our peanut punch recipe? Hopefully these commonly asked questions and answers will help you! If you are still wondering about this recipe, leave a comment below and we will try to help you out!
What does peanut punch do?
Peanut punch is high in protein so some Jamaicans call the punch “Strong Back”. Many drink peanut punch to help them get strong. It is also considered an aphrodisiac for men. That is one powerful peanut drink!
What does peanut punch taste like?
Peanut punch tastes like drinking rich, sweet peanut butter. It has a vanilla taste and a tiny bit of spice that you are sure to love.
Where is peanut punch from?
Peanut punch is originally from Jamaica. It is still consumed a great deal in the country as an energy drink or protein shake.