The negroni is an Italian classic drink. It is often served as an aperitif, a drink to end the meal. However, the negroni has never been made as a non alcoholic drink. Until now! We have mixed up a delicious negroni mocktail that will make you swoon. We use some very select non-alcoholic liquors that make the drink taste like the original negroni cocktail just without any hard alcohol!
Sounds too good to be true, right? Well, it is real and it is amazing. Keep reading to find out more then give our amazing virgin negroni a try.
What is a Negroni?
A negroni is an Italian cocktail made with gin, campari and sweet vermouth. It is usually served over ice in a highball glass.
The negroni drink is a three ingredient cocktail with a lot of flavor. It also has a whole lot of history. Keep reading to find out more!
History of the Negroni
The negroni was first creates in Florence in 1919. Count Camillo Negroni invented the drink when he started requesting Americano cocktails made with gin instead of soda (an American is made with soda water, campari and sweet vermouth). Not long after, the Negroni family opened a distillery where they bottled this new cocktail and called it Antico Negroni.
The drink gained popularity over the years and was often served as an aperitif. The bitters are known to be good for your liver and help with digestion. The gin is known to help you sleep! People also loved the unique taste of the drink.
Over the years, many variations of negroni have been invented. That’s how you know a drink is a classic!
Here are a few variations of the negroni:
- White negroni- Campari is replaced with Suze liqueur
- Broken Negroni- Prosecco is used in place of gin
- Americano- Soda water is used in place of gin
- Boulevardier- Bourbon is used instead of gin
- Pink Negroni- Lillet Blanc liquor and lemon juice are added to the drink
Of course we have our own negroni variation to add to the list. The virgin negroni! We think it may be the best variation yet.
Virgin Negroni Ingredients:
Negroni cocktails are primarily made with alcohol. This can make it quite the challenge to replicate the drink using non alcoholic ingredients. Of course, we were up for the challenge! Here is what we use to make our virgin negroni mocktail recipe.
- Ritual Gin Alternative- Ritual gin alternative is an alcohol free beverage that tastes exactly like gin. It has juniper berry and cucumber flavors just like the best “real” gins on the market. Ritual alcohol free gin is also low in calories, non GMO and gluten free. It’s a total winner!
- Lyres Italian Orange- This tasty alcohol free orange liqueur style drink replaces the traditional campari in the negroni. It has the flavors of blood orange, maraschino cherries and a little dryness that mimics that of campari. This is one non alcoholic liquor that you may find yourself using quite often.
- Lyre’s aperitif Rosso- You don't need vermouth when you have the even more delicious Lyre’s Rosso. It has a caramel, citrus and chocolate flavor that adds so much to the virgin negroni recipe. This is definitely the best virgin vermouth we have tried!
- Orange Twist- The orange twist is the classic negroni garnish. It adds a subtly orange flavor and looks beautiful and sophisticated.
You can order all of these perfect ingredients shipped straight to your door. They are all available on Amazon! Not only is our negroni mocktail tasty but it is also very convenient. Speaking of convenience, see how easy it is to make this tasty drink in the next section.
How to Make a Virgin Negroni Mocktail
We don’t need to explain very much when it comes to negroni directions. The drink is as easy to make as just measuring and pouring! Anyone can master this recipe on the first try.
Add some ice to a high ball glass. We like using one big, fancy ice cube which makes the drink look good and stay chilled.
Measure all the ingredients and pour them right into the glass. Give the negroni mocktail a quick stir and then top with the orange twist. It doesn’t get much easier than that! You can quickly make yourself a virgin negroni after a long day or whip up a big batch of negroni mocktails for your friends and family. It is so easy to do! If you're looking for a great main dish for your Italy party, then you should try this baked cannelini beans recipe.
With the help of some amazing non alcoholic liqueurs and spirits, we have crafted a perfect negroni mocktail. We really hope you give it a try! We think you will love it too! Enjoy.
Leave a Reply