Refreshing, tropical and gorgeous are the perfect words to describe this tasty miami vice virgin drink.
The Miami vice drink is a blend of two famous cocktails, the pina colada and the strawberry daiquiri. We must admit that combining these two classic drinks is pure genius. The strawberry flavors and coconut tastes go perfectly together. This is a beach-ready drink that everyone will adore.
While the pina colada has been around for ages and the strawberry daiquiri has been in our blenders for just as long, the Miami vice cocktail is relatively new. Well, it is new in the world of cocktails, at least. So how did this classic combination come about?
The miami vice cocktail was invented in Miami. It was quite popular in the 1908’s and 90’s . This is also when the hit TV show Miami Vice was quite popular. However, the drink was not actually inspired by the TV show.
It was already a very popular beach drink that just happened to be invented in Miami when Miami Vice was on TV screens everywhere. The two just started to blender together and the fruity, pina colada and strawberry daiquiri drink got its name.
A Miami Vice mocktail is actually two delicious, frozen mixed drinks layered together. First, you make a pina colada and then you blend up a strawberry daiquiri.
The bright white pina colada is layered with the rich red daiquiri to create a Miami Vice drink!
Here is what you will need to make both layers of our Miami Vice drink recipe:
- Ice- Miami Vice is one of the best frozen mixed drinks out there. You need ice to make it frozen!
- Strawberries- Fresh strawberries add so much flavor to the drink. If you can’t find frozen strawberries, fresh will do!
- Simple Syrup- Simple syrup helps sweeten frozen drink recipes. Try using flavored simple syrup to add even more strawberry taste.
- Lime Juice- A little fresh lime juice helps the drink get a bright, bold flavor. It really makes the strawberry part of the drink pop.
- Cream of Coconut- Sweet and rich, cream of coconut adds a tropical taste and a lot of sweetness
- Pineapple Juice- Tangy pineapple juice gives the pina colada mix its tropical taste.
- Vanilla Extract- A little vanilla extract adds depth and sweetness to the frozen drink
You don’t need anything too crazy to make this tasty mocktail. Simple ingredients often make the very best drinks!
If you have a good blender and all your miami vice ingredients, you can make this tasty mocktail drink in just a few minutes. Here is how to put together our Miami Vice mocktail.
- Start by making the virgin strawberry daiquiri part of the mocktail. Add all of the ingredients to your blender and puree until super smooth.
- Set the strawberry mix aside. You can divide it between the two glasses at this step of pour it into a pitcher.
- Rinse out your blender then add all of the pina colada ingredients. Puree until very smooth.
- Layer the pina colada and strawberry mix into the glasses. Enjoy cold!
Try swirling the two mixes together in the glass. You can also alternate between the pina colada mix and strawberry daiquiri mix to make pretty layers inside the glass.
Part of the appeal of this drink is that it looks pretty. Make it look as pretty as possible!
We have a few tips and tricks to help you make the best Miami vice cocktail possible. Take a look at these tricks before you start blending. They will help you make an amazing mocktail!
- Pour the strawberry and the pina colada mixes together slowly into the glass. You don’t want the two drinks to swirl together too much. The separate red and white colors are what makes the drink look so cool.
- If you do not have coconut cream, use coconut milk in its place. You may need to add a tablespoon or two of coconut syrup or a teaspoon of coconut extract to get a stronger coconut taste.
- Lemon juice can be used in place of lime juice if needed.
- Add about 5 drops of green food coloring to the pina colada mix for a red and green Christmas drink.
- Pour the miami vice drink mixes into popsicle molds to make Miami vice pops!
If you come up with some amazing tricks to making the best Miami drink possible, let us know. We are pretty big fans of beachy drinks like this. Anything that makes them better or easier, we want to know about!
If you have been searching for a new, tropical drink to make for your mocktail parties, this is exactly what you should make. Our non alcoholic Miami Vice drink recipe is delicious, fruity, and beach-ready. Get out your blender and start making one right away! Enjoy.
Here are a few quick answers to some frequently asked questions about Miami Vice drinks. If you still have questions, let us know in the comments below. We are happy to answer them all!
What is a Miami Vice made of?
The Miami vice is made with half strawberry daiquiri mix and half pina colada mix. Our miami vice is made without alcohol but the classic drink is made with rum.
Why is it called a Miami Vice drink?
The Miami vice drink originated in Miami. It was very popular in bars and nightclubs in the 1980’s and 90’s. The TV show “Miami Vice” was also gaining popularity at this time. The tasty drink just started being called by the same name as the show!
Is a lava flow the same as a Miami Vice?
A lava flow drink and a Miami vice drink are very similar. However, the strawberry daiquiri mix has a banana added to the mix making it super creamy.
What does Miami Vice taste like?
A Miami vice is tropical and very fruity. It is a sweet drink that will definitely remind you of the beach. It is perfect for anyone who loves coconut and also strawberries.