Do you have any ripe bananas hanging around? If you do, you should definitely make banana milk! It is a sweet treat that everyone from kids to grown ups will adore. The best part is that banana milk is insanely easy to make. Let us tell you all about it!
What is Banana Milk?
Banana milk is pretty much exactly like it sounds. It is milk and bananas mixed together to make a thirst quenching drink. The milk is a little thick thanks to the blended banana. It is also a little sweet due to the ripe banana and the honey. It is almost like drinking a milkshake!
Banana milk is a classic Korean drink. It was first created in 1974 by Binggare company. They began bottling banana milk that was made from milk, water, sugar, banana juice concentrate and artificial flavors. The drink was a total hit!
Since then, banana milk has become a Korean tradition. We want to take that classic drink and share it with the world! We know that you are going to go crazy for our homemade banana milk recipe after just one sip.
Ingredients for Korean Banana Milk
Our Korean banana milk does not require a lot of ingredients. In fact, you can get everything you need at any grocery store across the country. Here is what we use to make our banana flavored milk.
- Banana- be sure to choose a ripe banana which will be sweeter and more moist. Bananas are at their peak ripeness when they are bright yellow with small brown spots. If the banana is green at all, it is not ready!
- 2% Milk- we like using 2% milk because it is rich and creamy but not too hearty to drink in one sitting.
- Honey- Banana milk is especially delicious when it’s a little sweet. Honey is a fantastic natural sweetener that adds a unique richness to the banana milk. It blends right into the milk, leaving no gritty texture.
- Vanilla extract- Vanilla enhances the flavor of the banana milk wonderfully.
- Cinnamon- A touch of cinnamon is always a good idea with banana.
That is all you need to whip up a big glass of banana milk. Pretty straightforward ingredients, right?
How to Make Banana Milk
Banana milk is one of the easier drinks to make. All you need to do is blend all of the ingredients together until very smooth. That is it!
Be sure to blend the banana milk for at least a minute. You want the drink to be very smooth with no pieces at all. It should be the texture of a thick milk shake. That is one reason why banana milk is also called a banana milk shake! It really is super similar.
Banana Milk Variations
There are a few ways you can tweak this banana milk recipe to make it your own. Here are our favorite ways to switch up our banana milk.
- Use almond milk, oat milk or soy milk. This is an easy way to make a dairy free version of banana milk. Banana almond milk has a nice, nutty flavor that is really good with the banana.
- Chocolate banana milk is very easy to make. Add a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder to the blender. You may want to add about ½ tablespoon more honey to ensure the chocolate banana milk is nice and sweet. This is a very rich, incredible chocolate banana milk shake! But much healthier than any milkshake that is made with ice cream.
- Switch up the vanilla extract in the recipe using a different flavor. This is a very easy way to make banana milk a little different every time you blend a glass. Almond extract is a great substitute for vanilla extract. You may be able to find cookie dough extract at a local specialty store which will add a whole new, exciting flavor to your banana milk recipe!
- Skip the cinnamon in the banana milk. Korean banana milk doesn’t always have cinnamon. So, if you want a banana milk that is even more authentic and close to that original drink from the 1970’s, skip the cinnamon completely.
If you come up with a great new variation of banana flavored milk, let us know! We are always looking for new ways to make our favorite drinks even tastier.
Give our banana milk a try and see what you think. Do you think it is better than a real banana milk shake? Are you hooked on the chocolate banana milk version? Let us know! We want to hear what you think. And, as always, enjoy!
You Asked, We’re Answering
Got any questions about banana milk? Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about banana milk with some hopefully helpful answers.
Is banana milk good for you?
Bananas are full of potassium which is great for heart health and bone strength. Bananas also have vitamins B6, vitamin C and other minerals that are essential for healthy living. Milk is high in calcium which is great for bone health. Put all of these benefits together and you can see that banana milk is quite healthy. It is richer in fiber, vitamins and minerals than milk alone. It also tastes a whole lot better!
Is banana milk a real thing?
Banana milk sure is a real thing. We have a recipe for it right here! Definitely not imaginary.
What is banana milk made of?
Banana milk is made from bananas, milk, honey, vanilla extract and cinnamon. These five simple ingredients make quite the tasty drink.
Is it OK to drink banana milk everyday?
Sure! Banana milk is pretty healthy and easy to make so we say go for it! Drink it every day! Try our substitutions and variations for our banana milk recipe to switch up your daily routine even more. I bet you never grow tired of banana milk though. It is just so good!
Leave a Reply