The girl from Ipanema would definitely love this drink. She would probably sing all about it! One sip sure has us singing that famous song.
Our Ipanema drink is tropical. It is super sweet. And it is surprisingly simple to make. You may need to scrounge around for a few of the tropical ingredients but you should be able to find them. Especially if you are lucky enough to live near the beaches of Ipanema…
Ipanema is located along the coast of Brazil. It is in the south zone of Rio de Janeiro. Ipanema is known for its beautiful sandy beaches and elegant housing development. It attracts up to 50,000 people per year with its carnival festivities.
We mentioned the song Girl from Ipanema at the beginning of our article and we bet you have probably heard this song. It does have a catchy tune! The Girl from Ipanema was inspired by a 17 year old girl named Helo Pinheiro who was often seen at the Rio beach. She caught the eye of musician Antonio Carlos and the song was created. It definitely helped draw some attention to this small corner of the world.
Ingredients in an Ipanema Drink
We tried to make our Ipanema drink cocktail from ingredients found in Ipanema. We wanted our tasty mocktail to be authentic and delicious! Here are the ingredients that go into our glass:
- Apricot Nectar- Apricot nectar is highly concentrated apricot juice. It is much thicker than regular apricot juice making it sweeter and more flavorful.
- Lime Juice- Lime juice is needed to make this tasty drink a little tangy. That tangy flavor is needed to cut through the intense sweetness of the ipanema drink.
- Brown Sugar Simple Syrup- Simple syrup adds a whole new level of sweetness to the drink. The brown sugar is rich and intense which makes the drink all the more interesting.
- Pineapple Juice- Pineapple juice is tangy and sweet. It is responsible for most of the tropical taste in the drink. Make sure to use pure pineapple juice that has no other fillers or additives.
- Passion Fruit Juice- Passion fruit is popular in Ipanema and a tropical flavor we love. Look for passion fruit juice in the International foods section of your local grocery store. You can usually find it in cans or bottles.
- Water and Ice- We use a little water to dilute the intense flavors of the drink. You can skip the water if you want a more powerful drink. However, don’t skip the ice! Our Ipanema drink is best when served super cold.
If you can’t find apricot nectar or passion fruit juice, order them online to be delivered to your house. All the other ingredients should be pretty easy to find. We are guessing you can find some water and ice in your house.
We like easy drinks. We guess that you also like simple, easy drinks too. You want to spend your time enjoying a tasty beverage, not slaving away in the kitchen! We tried to keep this in mind when we made our delicious Ipanema mocktail. Here is how we do it:
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add all the ingredients to the shaker, cover and shake hard. A good vigorous shake will give your drink a little bit of foam and thickness that is irresistible.
- Strain the mix into two martini glasses. Enjoy right away!
While our Ipanema drink may be easy to make, be sure to make it with a little flair. Do a little dance while you shake that cocktail shaker. Have some fun measuring that apricot nectar. And be absolutely sure to play The Girl From Ipanema in the background while you mix up your mocktails. It is required. We swear.
We know that there are a few ingredients on this list that are a little more rare. We also know that everyone has their own personal drink preferences. So, we have a few little twists on this ipanema drink recipe that we want to share. See if any catch your eye.
- Skip the passion fruit juice and use all pineapple juice. This will give your drink a tarter taste but it is also much easier to find pineapple juice.
- Use regular simple syrup in place of brown sugar simple syrup. The drink may not be quite as rich but you can always add ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract to get that depth of flavor back.
- Replace apricot nectar with orange juice for a vibrant, more citrusy drink.
- Use Torani syrup for the brown sugar simple syrup. This is much easier than making your own. Of course, if you’re feeling ambitious, use our recipe here to make your own homemade brown sugar simple syrup.
- Replace the lime juice with any of your favorite citrus. Lemon juice, grapefruit juice or orange juice all will be delicious.
- Add a splash of club soda to the mix to give the Ipanema drink a refreshing fizz
Got a good idea? Tell us! We want to make it. We want to get all those good tropical feels that you are having. Give us your ideas in the comments below!
So are you ready to make a drink good enough for the shores of Brazil? We bet you are! So it’s time to try this amazing, fruity Ipanema drink. It is better than any virgin caipirinha, better than a virgin pina colada and better than drinking boring water for sure. Give it a try and let us know how much you love it!
You Asked about, We’re Answering
We always have questions. The more questions you ask, the more you’ll know! Take a look at these FAQ’s and see what you learn. We know the answers will help you make your drinks even better.
Is Ipanema a real place?
It sure is! It is a neighborhood in Brazil, located between Leblon and Arpoador in the city of Rio de Janeiro.
What is Ipanema known for?
Ipanema is known for it’s beautiful 2 mile beach which has soft sand, cobalt water and also mountain views.
Is Ipanema beach safe?
Ipanema beach is considered to be quite safe. It is a very touristy area with a visible police presence. You can drink your mocktail and enjoy the beach without worry!