We love a good iced caramel latte. In fact, that is many people’s go-to orders when they head to a coffee shop in the summer. The iced caramel latte Starbucks serves is one of the most delicious, refreshing and sweet caffeinated drinks we know. The iced caramel latte Dunkin Donuts serves is another amazing version of the drink.
If you are a huge fan of the iced caramel latte then you definitely need to learn this recipe. It is pretty easy to make an iced caramel latte at home and we will tell you all about it!
A latte is a type of coffee drink made with espresso and steamed milk. Lattes have a thin layer of foam on the top. Lattes are much milkier than cappuccinos which have more foam.
Iced lattes are typically made with espresso and cold milk. Sometimes cold milk foam is added to the top of the drink for a more authentic, latte style. However, whipped cream is also very common to top an iced latte.
Most lattes are made with espresso. If you grab a Starbucks iced latte or a caramel craze iced latte at Dunkin Donuts, they are made with espresso. However, not everyone has an espresso machine at home!
You can make a fantastic iced coffee using cold brewed coffee. That is what we use in our delicious caramel iced latte recipe and we can tell you that it is just as delicious as any coffee shop latte out there.
There are a lot of espresso and coffee drinks out there. It can be hard to keep them straight! Caramel lattes and caramel macchiatos are often mixed up. They are almost the same.
The main difference between a macchiato and a latte is the foam. A macchiato is made with espresso and steamed milk. A latte is espresso, steamed milk and foamed milk.
Both caramel lattes and caramel macchiatos have the same amount of caramel and espresso. When iced, they are essentially the same drink seeing as most iced drinks do not have foam. Both are delicious, refreshing drink options!
Our iced caramel latte recipe is very easy to make. In fact, it only takes about five minutes to make and barely any technical skills at all. Here are the ingredients for caramel iced latte:
- Cold Brewed Coffee- Brew coffee right in your coffee pot at home then chill it in the fridge. Add an extra scoop of coffee grounds before brewing to make your coffee extra strong. It will be even more like espresso this way, creating a delicious latte.
- Half and Half- Half and half adds a creamy taste and texture to the iced latte. It is much richer than milk. You also need less half and half to make your iced latte perfect. This is great so that your caramel latte isn’t too watered down. More flavor is always better!
- Caramel Sauce- We like using caramel sauce to add sweetness and flavor to the iced caramel latte. Caramel sauce is nice and thick. It has a natural caramel taste that flavored every sip of the latte.
- Ice- You need ice to make an iced latte!
- Whipped Cream- Whipped cream is the best topping for caramel iced lattes. Whipped cream takes the place of foamed milk and is much easier to use in a home setting. Drizzle a little extra caramel sauce on top of the whipped cream for more flavor.
Once you have the ingredients you need to make a caramel iced latte, all you need to do is measure and mix!
Combine the caramel sauce, half and half and caramel sauce together first. Use a whisk to help the caramel sauce blend in easier. Pour the iced latte mix into two glasses filled with ice and then add whipped cream.
If you are craving an iced caramel latte but missing an ingredient or two, we can help! Take a look at these substitutions and replacements for our iced caramel latte recipe.
- Use Milk- replace the half and half with your favorite kind of milk. Use dairy free milk to make the recipe vegan friendly.
- Try Instant Espresso Powder- If you do not have cold brewed coffee on hand, use instant espresso powder. Follow the directions on the package to brew the powder into espresso. You may even be able to simply mix the espresso powder right into the half and half. You will need a little extra water or half and half to make the latte not so crazy strong.
- Use Syrup- Use caramel syrup in place of caramel sauce. We love Torani and Monin coffee syrups. Caramel syrup will easily blend into your favorite drinks.
- Use homemade caramel sauce- Make your own caramel sauce to flavor your iced caramel latte. Caramel sauce is actually pretty easy to make and it will keep in your fridge for weeks. This adds a great, homemade twist to your delicious lattes.
- Blend it- Add all of the ingredients in the recipe to a blender and puree until the mix is smooth and thick. This will give you a delicious frozen caramel latte.
When in doubt, follow our iced caramel latte recipe exactly. You can’t go wrong with this delicious drink recipe!
We hope you give our iced caramel latte recipe a try. It is such a great drink that will really make your day better. Say goodbye to the iced caramel latte at Starbucks and sayonara to the iced caramel latte Dunkin Donuts serves. You no longer need to spend lots of money getting a great drink- you can just make it at home!
Still wondering a thing or two about iced caramel lattes? Hopefully these frequently asked questions and answers can help you!
Does a macchiato taste different than a latte?
There isn’t much difference between a caramel macchiato and a latte. A macchiato may have a slightly stronger coffee taste but nothing major. Both drinks are comparable.
What’s in a caramel latte?
A caramel latte is made with milk, espresso and caramel syrup. Our iced version uses cold brewed coffee, caramel sauce and half and half. We skip the espresso and use coffee in its place to make it easier to make at home.
What’s in Starbucks caramelized honey latte?
Starbucks caramelized honey latte has espresso, milk, vanilla, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and honey. There is also a tiny bit of black pepper added to the mix. It is quite a unique latte!