Almost everyone has tried a Starbucks very berry hibiscus refresher. It is quite a popular drink. While it may not be quite as popular as the amazing strawberry acai refresher, it is actually our favorite of all the Starbucks refreshers.
However, we have a little secret. You can make the very berry hibiscus Starbucks drink right at home.
What is a Refresher?
Starbucks is the original creator of the refresher drink. A Starbucks refresher is a hand shaken iced drink that is made with fruit and green coffee extract. People like refreshers because they are lightly caffeinated and super fruity.
They will quench your thirst and give you just a little caffeine to get you through the day.
To make a very berry hibiscus refresher, you will need a few specific ingredients. Take a look at what you will need to make a copycat Starbucks very berry hibiscus refresher at home.
- Water- water is what makes this drink so refreshing! Water will quench your thirst and is essential to the refresher.
- Sugar- Sugar adds a little sweetness to the refresher. It also enhances the flavor of the berries.
- Dried Hibiscus Flowers- Dried hibiscus flowers have a tart, floral flavor. It is similar to the taste of cranberries or pomegranate.
- Blackberries and Raspberries- Blackberries and raspberries are fruity, sweet and super flavorful. Use fresh berries when possible but frozen, thawed berries will do.
- White Grape Juice- White grape juice adds body and syrupy sweetness to the refresher.
- Green Coffee Bean Powder- Green coffee bean powder is what adds a little caffeine to the drink. Ready a little more about green coffee bean powder below.
- Seltzer- Seltzer gives the refresher a bubbly effervescence that is refreshing and delicious.
Some of these ingredients you may need to order online or find in local specialty stores. When you find dried hibiscus flowers or green coffee bean powder, be sure to stock up! You will want to make this drink often.
Green coffee bean powder is one of the more unique ingredients in our very berry hibiscus refresher recipe. But what exactly is green coffee bean powder?
Green coffee is the raw beans of the coffee plant. The green coffee is unroasted and has a lighter taste. However, the caffeine in the coffee bean is still there!
The green coffee beans are ground into a powder. The powder can be added to drinks as it dissolves very easily. It adds caffeine to drinks in a mild, tasty way. Green coffee bean powder is exactly what gives this refresher its caffeine and very subtle coffee flavor.
There are a few steps to make a very berry hibiscus refresher. First, you need to make the hibiscus simple syrup. Then, you need to mash the berries and mix all of the ingredients together. There may be a few steps but they are not hard! Here is a quick look at how to make a very berry hibiscus refresher.
- Boil half of the water, sugar and hibiscus flowers until the sugar is dissolved.
- Cover the pot and steep the syrup with the flowers.
- Pour the syrup through a cheesecloth to remove the flowers. Discard the dried hibiscus flowers and save the syrup.
- Smash the berries with a muddler then add the syrup, grape juice, remaining water and coffee bean powder. Mix well.
- Add the seltzer, mix slightly and then enjoy the refresher over ice!
Make the hibiscus syrup in advance so you have one step of the recipe checked off. You can make the whole refresher mix ahead of time, just add the seltzer right before you are ready to enjoy the drink.
You want the carbonation in the seltzer to be as fresh as possible!
Try using lemonade in place of grape juice to make a very berry hibiscus lemonade. This is a tasty twist on the classic very berry hibiscus refresher. We love a big glass of very berry hibiscus lemonade on a hot summer's day. We think you will too.
Rather than ordering Starbucks very berry hibiscus refresher every day, try making your own refresher using this recipe. It is extremely tasty and not too hard to make.
Once you whip up this recipe once or twice, you will be hooked. Give our very berry hibiscus refresher a try and let us know what you think. We hope you adore it.
We get a lot of questions about our drink recipes. Hopefully these frequently asked questions and answers will help you make a delicious refresher. You can always leave any other questions you may have in the comments below!
Is the very berry hibiscus refresher discontinued?
As we write this article, the very berry refresher has been discontinued. However, there are many petitions to bring back this popular drink. If it doesn’t come back soon, just use our recipe to make your own very berry hibiscus refresher!
What is in a very berry hibiscus refresher?
The Starbucks very berry hibiscus refresher has ice, water, sugar, white grape juice, natural flavors, citric acid, green coffee extract, and freeze dried blackberries. Our very berry hibiscus drink has water, sugar, hibiscus flowers, blackberries, raspberries, grape juice, coffee bean powder and seltzer.
What does the very berry hibiscus refresher taste like?
The very berry hibiscus refresher tastes like black berries and hibiscus flowers. It is sweet, tart and fruity. We think it is extremely delicious!
How much caffeine is in a very berry hibiscus refresher?
Very berry hibiscus refreshers are slightly caffeinated thanks to the green coffee bean powder. The starbucks refresher has about 45 mg of caffeine. An average coffee has about 95 mg of coffee. A refresher has less than half the amount of caffeine as coffee.