We are obsessed with homemade strawberry soda. It is unlike any bottled strawberry soda you have ever had. It is refreshing, flavorful, potent and all around incredible. Sounds like something you want to make, right? You definitely do! Don’t worry, we will share our strawberry soda recipe with you so you can enjoy this goodness too!
You will need just a few ingredients to make strawberry soda. Everything is available at your local grocery store so you can shop in one convenient place! Here is what you will need to grab.
- Fresh Strawberries- frozen berries will work too, you will just need to cook the syrup a little longer to make it nice and thick. Frozen berries tend to have more water so they need to be boiled for longer.
- Water- Adding a little water to the pot with the berries and sugar helps make the syrup cook evenly. Tap water will work just fine!
- Sugar- White sugar is the best for making syrup. It’s also cheap and most of us have some on hand, ready to use!
- Salt- A little salt will enhance the flavor of your drink. A tiny bit will do the trick!
- Lemon Juice- Fresh squeezed lemon juice really enhances the flavor of the drink. You may also want to save some lemon slices or lemon wedges to garnish the glass as well.
- Sparkling water- Sparkling water is what makes the strawberry soda nice and fizzy. Use plain, unflavored sparkling water so the taste of the fresh berries shines through.
Pretty basic ingredients, right? Nothing too hard to find and nothing too expensive. Making fresh, strawberry soda is going to be a breeze!
How to Make Strawberry Soda
Just as the ingredients for strawberry soda are simple, the method to make strawberry soda is pretty easy too. Take a look at what you need to do to make this tasty drink and then you can get started!
- Start by making the strawberry soda syrup. To do this, you add the strawberries, water, sugar, lemon juice and salt to the pot. Bring the mix to a boil then lower the heat to simmer for about 5 minutes. This will let the strawberry soda syrup get nice and thick.
- Pour the syrup through a strainer to make it nice and smooth.
- Cool the strained strawberry syrup.
- Fill each glass with four tablespoons of strawberry syrup and some ice.
- Pour a cup of sparkling water into each glass.
- Give the soda a quick stir and then enjoy!
The fresh ingredients and the simplicity of this delicious drink is what makes it one of our favorite summer drink recipes ever. We know you are going to love it too!
We have a few little tips and tricks to help you make the most perfect strawberry soda you have ever tried. You should definitely look these over before you start mixing up your drink.
- A lemon wedge or fresh strawberry make a perfect garnish for the strawberry soda.
- Triple the recipe for the strawberry soda syrup. Store it in the fridge for up to three weeks. You can also keep it in the freezer for about 3 months. Anytime you need strawberry soda, just take it out of the freezer to use!
- Freeze the strawberry soda syrup in an ice cube tray. Pop out two cubes and you will have fresh strawberry soda on demand!
- Replace the strawberries with raspberries for a fresh raspberry soda.
- Use lime juice in place of lemon juice to make a strawberry lime soda.
- Does strawberry soda have caffeine? It can! Use caffeinated sparkling water to make your homemade strawberry soda and it will turn it into an energizing drink.
- Add a tablespoon of heavy cream to the glass to make strawberries and cream soda. You will want to also top it with some whipped cream to make a perfect treat!
- If you don’t have fresh strawberries, you can use strawberry syrup instead. Skip the steps and ingredients for making strawberry simple syrup (skip the strawberries, water and sugar). Replace these ingredients with ½ cup strawberry syrup. Torani makes a great strawberry syrup that you should be able to find in a coffee shop or liquor store. You can also order it online! Strawberry syrup stays fresh for years so this will give you a very easy way to add flavor to your soda anytime you’d like. Of course, we prefer fresh berries and the bright taste they add, but this will work in a pinch!
With these little tricks and our perfect strawberry soda recipe, you will never have to buy strawberry crush soda ever again! Say goodbye to those store bought strawberry sodas and then say hello to this delicious, incredible, homemade strawberry syrup. It is unlike anything you have ever had before! You just can’t beat that fresh strawberry taste.
We love when you send us questions about our mocktails and non alcoholic drinks. Keep sending them! In the meantime, we hope these frequently asked questions and answers will help.
What is strawberry soda?
Strawberry soda is essentially soda flavored with strawberries! We use fresh strawberries to get the most flavor possible. Many strawberry sodas that come in cans are made with artificial strawberry flavor. The fresh berries is one reason why our soda is so much better!
What does strawberry soda taste like?
Strawberry soda tastes fresh and fruity. It is bright and bubbly. It is just amazing! If you like strawberries and you like soda, you will love this drink.
Why do we drink strawberry soda on Juneteenth?
Juneteenth is a holiday to celebrate the freeing of slaves within the United States. Strawberry soda is the signature drink of the holiday as it represents the blood shed and struggles slaves endured to reach their freedom. Slaves were also prohibited from drinking “luxury” drinks like strawberry soda which was reserved for only slave owners. Having a glass of strawberry soda is also an act of rebellion and symbol of independence.
Does Fanta still make strawberry soda?
Yes! You can buy Fanta strawberry soda but why? You can just make your own, even tastier strawberry soda at home using this recipe.