Almost everyone has heard of Monster Energy drinks. We all recognize that big black can with the monster claw stripes.
It is just as eye-catching as it is tasty! However, you may be looking for a way to make this signature energy drink at home. You are in luck! We figured out how.
Our homemade original monster drink recipe tastes super similar to the canned drink except it is way more natural and clean.
It is still just as energizing but without any artificial flavorings or colorings. Just pure goodness….
Monster is an energy supplement drink that is slightly carbonated and full of fruity flavor.
Many people love Monster because it isn’t as sweet as other energy drinks. It provides a lot of energy without too much sweetness.
The slight fizz of the drink makes it easy to drink and quite refreshing. But the main thing about Monster is the energy it gives you.
How much caffeine is in an original monster energy drink? About 160 mg in a sixteen ounce can. That is about twice as much as a cup of coffee. Monster energy drinks get their energy mainly from a mix of B vitamins.
Monster contains vitamins B12, B6, B8, B3 and B2. Each vitamin acts a little differently in your body but, in general, b vitamins are a natural way to boost your energy levels.
There is also added caffeine in Monster as well as taurine which is said to help mental performance when combined with caffeine.
All in all, Monster has quite a lot of added ingredients that may boost energy and performance. But maybe you don’t want all those artificial ingredients.
Maybe you want energy and flavor in a more natural way. That is when you should make our homemade original Monster energy drink recipe.
So let’s talk about that now.
Monster original ingredients are not all that natural. With things like l-carnitine, benzoic acid, and “color” that has no real explanation of origin, there are quite a few things in the can on Monster that we could do without.
We tried to recreate the original taste of Monster energy drinks using natural ingredients.
We think we got pretty darn close to the real thing! Here is what we use to make our natural monster energy drink:
- Granny smith apple- Monster energy drink has a tart, green apple taste. We created that taste using real green apple. Seems pretty logical!
- Raspberries- Monster has a slight berry taste that we recreate using yummy raspberries. Just a few will do!
- Lime juice- The fresh citrus taste of lime juice makes the drink taste bright and powerful.
- Orange juice- The original flavor monster drink has an orange taste. A little bit of orange juice will do the trick to get that citrus taste in our drink.
- Honey- A touch of sweetness makes our drink irresistible. We like using honey since it isn’t overly sweet or saccharin.
It is also totally natural unlike some of the fake sugar in the real Monster drink.
- Green Tea- Green tea adds a little bit of caffeine to the drink. It is strong enough to give you an energizing boost but not too crazy to make your heart race.
We have also made this drink with white tea instead of green tea and it is just as amazing. In fact, it is even fruitier and a little more sweet.
Green tea does have a little more caffeine than white tea, however, so it is more energizing.
- Sparkling Water- Monster energy drinks have a little bit of carbonation so we needed to make sure our homemade monster drink does too! A little bit of sparkling water does the trick.
All of the ingredients you need to make a homemade Monster energy drink in original flavor can be found in your local grocery store.
You should be able to grab what you need, head home and make lots of monster energy drinks anytime you need one!
Making a real, natural Monster original energy drink is pretty easy. You do need a blender, a sieve and a spoon. Here is what you need to do:
- Remove the core from the apple and discard.
- Add the sliced apple to the blender along with all the other ingredients except the seltzer.
- Blend everything together well. You want to make the drink as smooth as possible so don’t be afraid to blend for a long time.
- Pour the mix through a very fine mesh sieve. You want all the juice but none of the pulp. A true Monster drink is not thick but thin and pure liquid. Our Monster drink should be, too!
- Divide the juice between four glasses. You can also just use two glasses if you want a big, extra large energy drink.
- Add some ice to the drink and top each glass with some sparkling water.
- Enjoy the homemade Monster drink right away while it's nice and fizzy and cold.
Can you believe how simple it is to make a homemade Monster drink? Why would you ever buy that stuff in the can ever again?!
While we agree that canned Monster energy drinks are tasty and convenient, we have to admit that we like our homemade version a little bit more. It is energizing, delicious and even a little bit healthy since it is made with so much fruit.
Give our Monster original flavor energy drink a try and let us know what you think. How much do you love it? We bet you love it a lot. Enjoy!
We get quite a few questions about making a Monster energy drink at home. We wanted to take a minute to answer some of the most frequently asked questions. Hopefully the answers help you!
What flavor is the original Monster Energy drink?
The original Monster drink tastes like a fizzy sour apple. It also has a little bit of a berry flavor and just a hint of orange. We tried to mimic this taste when we were creating our own Monster drink.
Is Monster a healthy energy drink?
The Monster energy drink that comes in the black can is not very healthy. It has lots of sugar and also artificial ingredients that aren’t necessarily good for you.
Our homemade energy drink is much healthier since it is made mostly with fruit and natural flavors.
Does the original Monster have alcohol?
No. Monster energy drinks do not have alcohol. That is why we love them!