Summer is coming and we are already on the lookout for tasty, cold, iced drinks. Chai lattes are one of our favorite warm weather drinks for sure. The warm, spicy tea is so filling and soothing. Luckily, an iced chai tea latte is just as good. If you have ever had a Starbucks iced chai tea latte then you know what we are talking about!
Our recipe for an iced chai tea latte, Starbucks style, is going to be your absolute favorite summer drink. It is spicy and sweet, cold and refreshing. It hits all the requirements for a great warm weather drink! Let’s us tell you all about how to make chai tea latte right in your own kitchen.
Ingredients for Iced Chai Tea Latte
You don’t need much to make our delicious copycat Starbucks iced chai tea latte recipe. There is no need for fancy espresso machines or coffee shop equipment. All you need is a measuring cup, tablespoon, glass, spoon and a few special ingredients. Here are the ingredients you need to make a delicious iced chai tea latte.
- Chai Tea Concentrate- Chai tea concentrate is a super potent brewed chai tea mix. It is typically sweetened with honey or sugar, making it thick and syrupy. You wouldn’t want to drink chai tea concentrate straight from the container, but it is delicious when blended into a chai tea latte and diluted with milk. You can find chai tea concentrate in most grocery stores or you can also order it online. Make an authentic Starbucks iced chai tea latte recipe using Starbucks chai tea concentrate blend. Of course, any brand will work perfectly!
- Honey- We sweetened our chai tea latte with a little bit of honey. Honey helps make the drink perfectly sweet and gives it a rich flavor. Honey is also the traditional sweetener for chia.
- Milk- We use whole milk in our iced chai latte. Starbucks iced chai latte recipe defaults to whole milk as well so this is definitely what you should use if you are looking to make a copycat starbucks iced chai tea latte. However, any kind of milk will work!
- Ice- You need ice to make an iced chai tea latte!
- Whipped Cream- We like a little bit of decadence so we top our drink with whipped cream. You can skip this if you do not have whipped cream or you want a little less sugar. However, a whipped cream topping is a nice way to finish off the drink.
- Cinnamon and Nutmeg- A dusting of cinnamon and nutmeg is a perfect finishing touch to an iced chai tea latte. It enhances the flavor of the chai wonderfully.
Once you have all the ingredients you need, it is time to make the best iced chai tea latter recipe you’ve ever tried. We promise it will be even better than Starbucks iced chai tea latte and cost you way less.
An iced chai tea latte is very easy to make. You essentially just need to measure, stir and then enjoy. Take a look at these quick steps to make a great iced chai tea latte recipe.
- Pour the milk into a cup followed by the chai tea concentrate and honey.
- Stir the ingredients together well.
- Add the ice to the glass to fill it.
- Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg
Some recipes may ask you to add the ice to the glass first. However, the chai tea concentrate, milk and honey will blend together much better if they are mixed without the ice. The big ice cubes get in the way!
We find the iced chai tea latte has a much more even flavor when mixed together before the ice. That whipped cream topping is also key to a great drink!
Our iced chai tea latte recipe can be tweaked and adjusted to be a delicious flavored tea. Here are a few things we have tried that work really well in this recipe.
- Add a few pumps of vanilla coffee syrup to make a delicious iced vanilla chai tea latte.
- Use almond milk for a nuttier drink.
- Replace the milk and honey with vegan alternatives. Coconut milk and maple syrup are perfect substitutes to make a vegan iced chai tea latte.
- Blend the entire drink together to make a chai tea latte shake. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to make the shake even creamier and thicker.
Let us know how you put your personal twist on our iced chai tea latte recipe. We are always looking for new ideas!
We have often wondered if chai tea lattes have caffeine. We definitely have! The answer is yes, chai tea does have caffeine. Chai tea is a black tea which is typically caffeinated.
A typical cup of chai tea has about 40mg of caffeine which is about the same as an average cup of coffee. A chia tea latte will have slightly less caffeine since it is made with more milk. However, it is still caffeinated!
If you love Starbucks Iced Chai Tea Latte, we know you will love this delicious recipe. It is definitely one of our favorite summertime drinks. Chai tea lattes are refreshing, flavorful and easy to make. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Still have questions about this chai tea latte recipe? Hopefully, these direct questions and answers will help!
Which chai tea is the best?
We really love Organic India Chai Masala. The tea concentrate is bold and flavorful with a perfect sweetness. Tazo chai tea mix is perfect if you want to make a drink exactly like Starbucks. Tazo is the brand that Starbucks uses so you will get the exact same flavor.
Does chai tea taste like coffee?
Chai tea tastes very different from coffee. It is much more spicy and sweet when compared to the nutty burnt taste that coffee can have. Both drinks are quite flavorful and strong.