The martini is such an iconic drink. That is why we had to turn it into a mocktail. A virgin martini just seems like something that needed to be made!
We decided the best virgin martini to make would be one everyone loves. A drink that is full of so much flavor that you will never even notice the alcohol is missing. That is why we chose to create a powerful, amazing virgin espresso martini mocktail. It is a drink we are sure you will love.
A virgin martini is simply a classic martini made without any alcohol. While a traditional martini is made with vodka or gin, a non alcoholic martini has none of that. Some virgin martini recipes may use non alcoholic spirits to replace the alcohol. We chose to skip it all together.
Our espresso martini mocktail is so strong and delicious as it is, it doesn’t need any fake liquor replacement! While it is modeled after a classic martini and is served in a pretty martini glass, it is completely alcohol free and unlike any martini you have ever had before. It is better!
You already know that there is no vodka or rum in our espresso martini. So what exactly goes into the glass? Here is a quick look at the ingredients we use to make our perfect non alcoholic martini.
- Honey- Espresso is bitter and bold so a little sweetness is needed to balance out the flavor. We use honey to get a rich, complex taste.
- Vanilla Bean Paste- Vanilla bean paste is a thick syrupy type of vanilla. It is essentially vanilla extract with vanilla beans mixed in. Vanilla bean paste has a super strong vanilla flavor. A little bit goes a long way. We especially love the specks of vanilla beans that make the paste extra pretty.
- Espresso- Use your favorite brewed espresso. Instant espresso will work or store bottled espresso. However, if you are able to brew your own espresso fresh, this would be ideal! How much is a shot of espresso? About 1 ounce! So, you will need two shots of espresso for this recipe.
- Heavy Cream- A little cream helps sweeten and soften the martini. Cream makes the espresso a little less harsh and a little more drinkable. The thickness of the cream also makes the martini smooth and creamy.
- Sugar- A sugared rim is a gorgeous garnish to the tasty martini. It also gives you a sweet taste in every sip. Use raw sugar which has larger crystals than regular granulated sugar.
There are two steps to making our perfect virgin espresso martini. First, you need to make the honey vanilla syrup and then you need to make the espresso martini mocktail itself. Both steps are pretty easy and both will only take a few minutes. Here is a quick look at how to make a virgin martini.
- Start by making the honey vanilla syrup. Boil honey, water and vanilla bean paste together until thick. Set aside to cool.
- Use a small paint brush to paint the rim of a martini glass with the honey syrup. You can also just dip the rim into the honey syrup if this is easier.
- Dip the honey rimmed glass in some raw sugar, coating the whole rim of the glass in the sugar. Set the glass aside while you make the espresso martini.
- Add a little of the honey syrup, espresso and cream to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously to mix and chill the virgin martini.
- Strain into the sugar rimmed martini glass and enjoy!
A delicious espresso martini mocktail is so easy but also a true show stopper. Make the honey syrup in advance and keep some stored in the fridge at all times. If you already have the honey syrup ready to go, it will only take you a minute or two to put this tasty martini together.
There are a few ways to switch up this tasty espresso mocktail recipe. You can make a vegan version, we have a quicker option or you can even add a little bit of flavor. Take a look at these variations on our delicious espresso mocktail recipe and see if any look even more amazing to you.
- Use granulated sugar in place of honey to make the syrup. Replace the heavy cream with your favorite non-dairy milk. This makes a perfect vegan espresso martini mocktail.
- Replace the vanilla bean paste with almond extract. This creates an irresistible almond espresso martini mocktail.
- Use extra strong coffee in place of espresso when needed.
- Drizzle some chocolate sauce around the rim of the glass and dip it in the sugar for a chocolate, espresso martini.
- Use maple syrup in place of honey to create an interesting, maple espresso martini mocktail.
With all of these great substitutions and variations, you may just have to make this virgin martini more than once. Switch it up each time to keep it interesting. Find which version you like best and then make it your signature drink.
Just because you are living the dry life does not mean you can’t have a great martini every now and then. Our delicious virgin martini mocktail will quench your thirst and give you a very fancy, tasty drink to hold. You will look forward to having a good espresso martini mocktail all day! Enjoy.
Isn’t a martini pure alcohol? Not in this case! The idea of a virgin martini can be a little confusing. If you have any questions about this drink recipe, leave them in the comments below! We will be happy to answer. Hopefully these frequently asked questions and answers help you too.
What is a martini without alcohol called?
We call it a virgin martini mocktail. We also call it “delicious”. If you are out at a restaurant or bar and want to order a martini without alcohol, simply ask for the drink to be made “virgin”.
Does a virgin martini have alcohol?
No! Any virgin drink should have no alcohol at all. The definition of a virgin drink is one made completely without alcohol.
How old do you have to be to buy a virgin drink?
Since virgin drinks are completely alcohol free, they are safe for anyone of any age. There is no age requirement to buy a virgin drink.
How much caffeine is in a shot of espresso?
A shot of espresso has about 63mg of caffeine. How much caffeine is in a double shot of espresso? A double shot has about 135 mg which is what we use in this martini. It will definitely way you right up! In a good way of course.