When summer rolls around, we all have the desire to turn our favorite hot drinks into colder versions. Our hot chocolate becomes iced mochas, our hot coffees get brewed stronger and tossed in the fridge to cool and our cappuccinos turn into a perfect iced cappuccino.
That seasonal weather shift can really transform a drink menu!
Rather than head to your local coffee shop, ordering starbucks iced cappuccinos and expensive cold drinks, use this recipe to make your own iced cappuccino. Our iced cappuccino recipe is better than the iced cappuccino Starbucks serves. It also costs a fraction of the price. Make it once and you will be hooked!
An iced cappuccino is a cold espresso drink made with chilled milk and milk foam. It is the same as a traditional, hot cappuccino, just served over ice.
Cappuccino is one of the oldest drinks in the world. However, the Tim Hortons coffee restaurant chain was the first to make the iced cappuccino.
Since the first iced cappuccino was created, it has become quite a popular drink. In fact, it may just be one of the most popular iced coffee drinks out there!
Iced cappuccinos and iced lattes have one major difference, the foam. Iced cappuccinos have a lot more foam than iced lattes. A traditional cappuccino is ⅓ espresso, ⅓ milk and ⅓ foam. A latte is about ¼ espresso, ½ milk and ¼ foam.
When thinking about ordering an iced cappuccino vs iced latte, consider how much foam you want. Your order depends on it!
We know a good drink when we see it. We also know that Starbucks is the king when it comes to making great coffee drinks. We modeled our iced cappuccino after the iced cappuccino Starbucks makes.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this delicious iced cappuccino:
- Cold, Brewed Espresso- Use an espresso machine to make a shot of espresso then let the espresso chill in the fridge. One shot of espresso will be about ¼ cup. If you do not have an espresso machine, use instant espresso powder, making the espresso according to the package directions. You can also use a k-cup and brew a shot using coffee pods.
- Simple Syrup- Make your own simple syrup using our recipe here. Or grab a bottle of premade simple syrup. Monin and Torani both make great syrups that will work well. You can even add a flavored syrup to your iced cappuccino for a more yummy flavor.
- Milk- Use whole milk which froths the best thanks to the high level of milk fat. You can replace the milk with your favorite type of milk, just keep in mind it may not be quite as foamy. Soy milk is the best non-dairy option as it foams pretty well. See our note below about frothing milk.
- Ground Cinnamon- A touch of ground cinnamon is key to a good cappuccino. It is the classic way to finish the drink.
- Ice- You need ice to make an iced cappuccino!
A lot of these ingredients can be kept on hand, ready to go anytime your craving for an iced cappuccino hits. Make some cold espresso ahead of time so you always have it brewed, chilled and ready to go!
Our iced cappuccino recipe is so easy that you can make this drink faster than you could order it at Starbucks. Take a quick look at how to make an iced cappuccino and then get ready to mix one up!
- Brew and chill ¼ cup of espresso.
- Mix the cold espresso, ¾ cup milk and simple syrup together in a tall glass.
- Add ice until the glass is ¾ of the way full.
- Froth the remaining ¼ cup milk then scoop the foamed milk on top of the drink in the glass.
- Top with a touch of cinnamon and then enjoy!
We like to drink our iced cappuccino with a straw but you can sip it straight from the glass. This way, you’ll get a little of that tasty foam in every sip.
The frothed milk on top of a cappuccino is essential. That foamy milk is what makes a cappuccino a real cappuccino. It is the definition of the drink!
Espresso machines usually have a milk frother wand attachment. This is perfect for foaming milk quickly and easily. However, not all of us have an espresso machine at home.
Luckily, there are a few other ways to foam milk to top your perfect iced cappuccino. Take a look!
- Use a frother wand- These are fairly cheap but still do a fantastic job making foamy, creamy milk. Try the PowerLix frother which is very highly rated.
- Try a frother cup- Pour your milk into the cup, press a button and you will have perfectly foamy milk in no time! The Secura milk frother will whip cold or hot milk. It is also compact, making it easy to bring with you anywhere. Make iced cappuccinos no matter where you go!
- Shake it in a jar- Put your cold milk in a glass jar with a sealed lid. Shake the milk vigorously for about a minute. You will have nicely frothed milk that you can pour right into your iced cappuccino cup!
- Whisk it- Pour your milk into a bowl and use a small handheld whisk to whip the milk.
If you plan on making a lot of iced cappuccinos, we recommend picking up an automatic frother wand or frother cup. They are well worth the investment. That foamy milk really makes a cappuccino great!
An iced cappuccino is one of the best espresso drinks we can think of. It is truly a classic! Now, you can make this traditional, cold coffee right at home.
You may want to memorize this recipe because you will be making iced cappuccinos quite often. We can already tell! Enjoy.