Tropical dragon fruit juice is our new favorite homemade juice- nothing can compare!
Ready to make one of the prettiest juices you have ever seen? Are you ready to sip on a juice so flavorful and bright that it puts all other fruit juices to shame? If you said yes, then you are ready to try fresh, homemade dragon fruit juice.
What’s in Dragon Fruit Juice?
There are only a few ingredients in our dragon fruit juice recipe. It really doesn’t take much to make an incredible fresh juice! Here is what we use:
- Red dragon fruit- There are three main types of dragon fruit. The first has red skin, white flesh and black seeds. The next kind of dragon fruit has red skin, red flesh and black seeds. The last kind of dragon fruit has yellow skin, white flesh and black seeds. For this recipe, we chose to use the red fleshed dragon fruit. The brilliant red color really makes the homemade juice look incredible. Just a note that the red juice does stain! Wear an apron and gloves when you cut the fruit so you do not ruin your clothes or end up with pink fingertips.
- Water- Water helps thin the juice. Without the water, the juice would be too thick and more like a fruit puree than a drink.
- Lemon juice- Lemon juice enhances the flavor of the drink. The bright citrus flavor adds a lot to the juice and should not be skipped.
- Agave nectar- A little agave really sweetens the dragon fruit juice. You can replace the agave with honey, maple syrup or just a little simply sugar syrup. You can also skip the agave if you’d like a tangier drink.
We told you that this drink was nice and simple!
How to Choose the Best Dragon Fruit
To make incredible dragon fruit juice, you want to be sure you pick a nice ripe fruit. If you are new to dragon fruit, this can be a little intimidating. How can you tell if a dragon fruit is ripe? Here is what to look for:
- Look for an evenly colored skin. The dragon fruit should be a bright pink all around. The tips of the dragon fruit wings can be slightly green.
- Brown spots on a dragon fruit are not good. This means the fruit is bruised and bumped. These spots will taste rancid. Look for a fruit with no brown spots.
- The stem of the fruit should be firm and fresh looking. A dried stem indicates the dragon fruit is old and may be over ripe.
- Cut into the dragon fruit and smell it. The fruit should have a very mild, sweet smell.
- Dragon fruit will continue to ripen inside your home. It is always better to choose a fruit that may be a little under ripe and let it sit on your counter for a few days.
If you are hesitant about choosing a fresh dragon fruit, look for frozen dragon fruit or dragon fruit puree. One cup of dragon fruit puree will work in this recipe in place of the fresh fruit.
You Asked, We’re Answering!
Here are a few frequently asked questions about our tasty mango dragon fruit lemonade. Hopefully the answers will help you make a delicious, refreshing drink!
What is dragon fruit juice good for?
Dragon fruit has lots of vitamin C and it is loaded with antioxidants. Drinking dragon fruit juice can boost your iron levels and help those who may suffer from anemia. It also just tastes really good!
How do I make dragon fruit juice?
To make our dragon fruit juice, simply puree all he ingredients in a blender. We strain our juice after it has been pureed to get a nice, smooth juice. You can skip the straining par and keep the pretty black seeds in the juice if you’d like. Serve the juice chilled for the best flavor.
What alcohol is in dragon fruit?
Our dragon fruit juice is alcohol free. Fresh dragon fruit juice in general does not contain alcohol. It is made with fruit, water and a little sweetener. Delicious and perfect without any alcohol mixed in!
What are the side effects of dragon fruit?
Too much dragon fruit juice can cause diarrhea. While one glass a day is fine, try not to drink too much dragon fruit juice or it can lead to stomach problems.