We recently saw a drink called “Agua de Jamaica” on a local restaurant menu and got very curious about this new tasty drink. What exactly is agua de Jamaica anyway? Turns out, it is actually iced hibiscus tea! It is a beautiful, extremely delicious cold drink that we immediately needed to recreate in our kitchen. Now you can do the same with our awesome hibiscus drink recipe.
What is Agua de Jamaica?
Agua de Jamaica translates to mean hibiscus water. It is actually an herbal tea made by infusing hibiscus flowers in water. Agua de Jamaica is typically served cold but it can also be enjoyed hot. It has a tart and sweet taste that is complemented by spices. There are different variations of hibiscus tea around the world. We made the most classic version of hibiscus tea that has tons of flavor and is also something everyone will love.
Hibiscus Tea Benefits
One of the reasons why people love hibiscus tea is due to its many benefits. Hibiscus tea is so good for you in many different ways. So what is hibiscus drink good for? Let us tell you!
- Hibiscus tea is full of antioxidants which help prevent the build up of free radicals in the bloodstream.
- Hibiscus tea may help lower blood pressure. Several studies have shown that drinking hibiscus tea regularly significantly reduces systolic blood pressure.
- Does hibiscus tea reduce belly fat? It just may! Hibiscus tea can help promote weight loss. More research is needed to assess the effects of hibiscus on weight loss but the results are promising!
- Improving liver health is another super power of hibiscus water. Studies have shown that hibiscus can help keep the liver healthy and working efficiently.
- Hibiscus is high in polyphenols which are compounds shown to help prevent cancer from spreading.
Is it OK to drink hibiscus tea daily? Now that you have seen all the benefits of hibiscus tea, you may be wondering this. The answer is yes, it is safe to drink hibiscus tea daily as long as you do so in moderation. But isn’t everything best in moderation? A glass or two a day will give you all the benefits you need!
What are the Side Effects of Taking Hibiscus Tea?
Agua de Jamaica is delicious and also pretty nutritious. However, there are a few side effects that you may experience if you consume too much hibiscus tea.
- Allergic Reactions- Some people are allergic to hibiscus and may experience red, itchy eyes, sinus pressure and hay fever like symptoms.
- Affect Estrogen- Hibiscus can increase estrogen levels which can make it difficult for women to become pregnant.
- Interacts with Medication- Hibiscus can reduce the effect of antiviral medications.
- Cause Drowsiness- Does hibiscus tea make you sleepy? The answer is yes. Herbal teas are known for their soothing power and may make you feel drowsy, especially when enjoyed warm.
- Decrease Blood Sugar- Many people ask does hibiscus tea raise blood sugar. The answer is a definite yes. Many people see this side effect as a good thing, especially those who suffer from high blood sugar. However, hibiscus can actually decrease your blood sugar to dangerously low levels when consumed in excess. Always drink it in moderation- that is the key!
How to Make Our Agua de Jamaica Drink
Making this hibiscus drink is actually very easy. It takes a little time to steep and cool so try to prepare the tea in advance. Here is what you need to do to make this delicious jamaica drink:
- Boil four cups of water with the sugar, cinnamon stick and ginger root.
- Add the hibiscus flowers, cover and steep for 20 minutes.
- Pour the brewed hibiscus tea through a fine mesh strainer and discard the flowers and spices.
- Add the remaining water to the bowl along with the lime juice, stir then chill.
- Serve the hibiscus tea with the orange slices as a garnish.
This is a fantastic drink to make in advance. You can prepare a big pitcher of agua de jamaica and enjoy it all week long. It is also a great recipe for a big party, especially a summer one!
Substitutions and Variations
There are a few ways we like to tweak our hibiscus iced tea. Here are a few ways we like to switch up this delicious, homemade agua de jamaica:
- Use lemon juice in place of lime juice.
- Add a whole nutmeg to the pot along with the cinnamon stick. This adds a lot of spicy flavor that is quite tasty.
- Skip the ginger root for a more mild version of hibiscus tea.
- Cut the sugar in half for a lower sugar version. You can also use a sugar substitute like stevia or erythritol.
- Add 1 cup dried blueberries to the hot water to steep to make hibiscus blueberry tea.
Let us know if you come up with a great way to alter our hibiscus tea recipe. We know you will probably come up with something really great!
There are a lot of hibiscus tea benefits and so many ways to enjoy this delicious tea. Give our agua de jamaica recipe a try and let us know what you think! We think it will become a real summertime favorite. Enjoy!
You Asked, We’re Answering
Do you have questions about this recipe? Hopefully we will answer them here for you! If there is something you are still wondering, feel free to leave your question in the comment section below. We will try to answer ASAP!
What is hibiscus tea good for?
Hibiscus tea can help lower blood pressure, decrease blood sugar levels, and improve your liver health. It also has lots of antioxidants so it will help keep you healthy. It also just tastes fantastic so it will keep you hydrated in a very delicious way.
What happens if you drink too much hibiscus tea?
Too much hibiscus tea can make you foggy and drowsy. Drinking it excessively may also harm your liver or act as a diuretic. Hibiscus tea is very good for you, you just have to remember to drink it in moderation.
Is hibiscus tea good for sleep?
Hibiscus tea is good for sleep. It has natural sedative properties that help to relax the body and put you at ease. Be sure to enjoy your hibiscus tea warm if you’re looking to take advantage of its relaxing abilities.
Leave a Reply