A decadent espresso drink is always a good idea. Cafe breve is exactly what you need if you want a luxurious, delicious espresso drink. It is rich, creamy, filling and also will give you a nice boost of energy. The best part is that you can make it at home! We will show you how to make coffee shop style cafe breve that is so perfect, you will crave it every day.
What is Cafe Breve?
Almost everyone these days knows what a latte is. Lattes are simply foamed milk poured over espresso. But have you ever heard of a cafe breve? This is the new, more exciting espresso based drink that everyone is going crazy for. One sip and you will love it too!
Cafe breve is basically a latte but instead of being made with steamed milk, it is made with steamed half and half. Half and half makes a thick foam that does not fall flat when mixed with espresso. It has a lot more fat than a latte which also gives it a rich and creamy taste.
Cafe breve is also called breve coffee and breve latte. However, they are all the same thick, delicious, coffee drink!
Making a true cafe breve requires espresso and also steamed milk. These are best when made using an espresso machine. If you do not have an espresso machine, don’t worry! You can still make an amazing drink right at home.
There are four main ways to make espresso at home. Pick your favorite method and start brewing your espresso!
- French Press- A french press coffee maker is an inexpensive way to make espresso at home. French presses make intense, strong coffee that you can use to make your breve coffee. Add two tablespoons of strong coffee grinds to a french press and then add ½ cup of boiling water. Let the mix sit for about 30 seconds then press the french press plunger down, trapping the grinds and extracting a strong coffee brew.
- Instant Espresso- Instant espresso is the fastest and easiest way to make espresso. However, Instant espresso doesn’t always taste as good as espresso from an espresso machine. Espresso machines make creamy, thicker espresso while instant espresso powder can make a thinner coffee. The thick, steamed half and half in the breve coffee will make up for this though! Instant espresso powder will work great in a cafe breve.
- Moka Pot- The moka pot is essentially a stovetop espresso maker. The bottom of the moka pot is filled with water and the espresso bean grinds are added to the filter basket. Place the pot over the stove top and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, pour the espresso into your glass and add the steamed half and half.
- AeroPress- The Aeropress is a handheld espresso maker. The espresso is extracted using pressure, just like a real espresso machine. The espresso grinds are tamped into the AeroPress and then the boiling water is poured into the top. The AeroPress is sealed and slowly pressed down to extract the coffee. It makes a great, strong espresso that is perfect for a cafe breve.
Most espresso machines have a frothing wand which uses steam to heat and foam the milk. Thick frothy half and half is part of the appeal of a breve coffee. You can still froth your milk even without a fancy machine and here is how:
- Warm the half and half in a mug in the microwave then pour it into a mason jar with a sealed lid. Vigorously shake the half and half for about 30 seconds until it is thick and foamy. Pour the hot, thick half and half over the brewed espresso and enjoy.
- Place the warmed half and half in a small bowl and use an electric hand mixer to whip it. Half and half will get foamy quickly and then you can pour it right into a mug with your espresso. A perfect breve coffee is so easy!
- Pour hot half and half into a blender and blend for about 30 seconds at high speed. The half and half will be thick and creamy quite quickly.
- Invest in a battery operated frother. Pour hot half and half into a mug and use the frother to whip it up. Add the brewed espresso and enjoy your coffee shop-style breve coffee.
As you can see, there really is no need to buy a fancy espresso machine in order to create an incredible cafe breve. You can make breve coffee right at home with appliances you already have. Of course, a nice espresso machine does help. A new espresso machine would make a nice birthday or Christmas gift…
If you are new to the cafe breve world or just curious about breve coffee, then these questions and answers may be exactly what you are looking for. If you still have questions about breve coffee, feel free to send them our way!
Is breve coffee better?
Breve coffee is made with half and half so it has a lot more fat than a regular coffee or latte. This will taste pretty delicious but they can be considered unhealthy. The higher fat and higher cholesterol levels in breve can be more harsh on your system.
What is a breve coffee at Starbucks?
Breve coffee at starbucks is coffee made with half and half. For a hot coffee, the half and half can be steamed or just added in straight. The Starbucks barista will write a B on your cup which stands for “Breve” or added half and half.
How is breve coffee made?
Breve coffee is made using two shots of espresso and steamed half and half.
What is a poor man’s latte?
A poor man’s latte is when someone orders a straight shot of espresso and then bring the cup to the condiment counter and fills the cup with milk and sugars. They then ask the barista to reheat the drink. This helps skip the cost of milk or flavored syrups.
Is breve better than latte?
Breve is the way to go if you want a super rich, decadent drink. Since breve is made with half and half, it is going to be considerably more decadent than a latte. However, you will have to sip a breve slowly as they can be hearty and very filling.