The camp favorite is back but with a healthier twist!
If you ever went to summer camp, then you have probably heard of bug juice. It is a classic camp drink that is served to kids around the world.
Bug juice is typically made using powdered Kool-aid or another similar powdered drink mix. It is super sweet and very cheap to make.
That is why camps and kids love it so much! A sugary discount drink is something kids can’t resist.
We have to admit that we love bug juice. How can you say no to sugar?! But bug juice is not healthy at all. It is loaded with sugar and has no real nutrients to speak of.
The packages, pre mixed bug juice that you can find in stores now are just as bad. It is essentially all sugar and artificial flavorings.
When you start to think about what is in bug juice, you may start to reconsider buying it in the stores.
We wanted to make a new, healthy bug juice that you can enjoy without worry. We also wanted to keep that iconic taste.
So, we set to work making a tasty, healthier bug juice that will satisfy any sugar cravings you or your kids may have while also being a little bit nutritious.
We wanted to make a healthier alternative to bug juice yet still keep that same, sweet taste that you know and love.
We stuck to the main ingredient which is powdered Kool-aid. Then we added a little bit of our own flavors.
Here is what goes into our healthier bug juice recipe.
- Strawberry Kool-aid- We use an individual strawberry Kool-aid packet to make our drink. You can choose almost any fruity flavor of Kool-aid for this recipe but we like using strawberry as it enhances the flavor of the real strawberries in the recipe.
- Sugar- Kool-aid powder is very tart and needs a sweetener to make it palatable. We use a little less sugar than called for on the Kool-aid pack in order to cut back on the bug juice sweetness while still giving it a good taste.
- Strawberries- Fresh or frozen strawberries will work in this recipe. Strawberries add lots of natural vitamins and minerals to the drink including vitamin C and other antioxidants.
- Lemon Juice- Lemon juice adds a natural tanginess to the bug juice. Lemon juice is also full of antioxidants and vitamin C, making the bug juice healthier.
- Water- Water is the main ingredient in this drink and helps make it hydrating and filling. You need water if you want to make bug juice!
You can find all of these ingredients in your local grocery store. Nothing should be too tricky to find! You can also look online for any specialty Kool-aid flavors you may want to try.
You can order more unique flavors than you would be able to find in stores.
Bug juice is incredibly easy to make. It really only involves measuring and mixing. You can even mix the healthy bug juice in the pitcher you’d like to store it in. This way, you can make the drink and then pop it right into the fridge.
Making our bug juice recipe is as simple as one, two, three. Here is how it is done:
- Add the Kool-aid, water and sugar to a pitcher and stir well.
- Puree the strawberries in a blender then strain them through a mesh sieve, pouring the juice directly into the pitcher and discarding the pulp.
- Mix in the lemon juice and then chill!
Anyone who can use a blender and a spoon can make this bug juice drink. It is so easy, you will find yourself making it all the time!
Regular bug juice is not healthy. The premixed stuff you find in the grocery store is loaded with sugar, artificial flavors and preservatives. The mix you use to drink at summer camp is just as bad. We tried to fix all of that with this bug juice drink recipe.
Our bug juice drink still uses Kool-Aid mix which does have artificial flavorings. We do also add sugar although we have cut the amount of sugar recommended for making Kool-aid so it is a little less sweet. The main part of our bug juice that is healthier is the fruit we added to the drink.
Strawberries are very healthy. They are rich in antioxidants which can help improve heart health, increase HDL (good cholesterol), and help lower blood pressure. Strawberries have been shown to enhance eye health and skin health. They also give your immune system a boost.
Lemon juice is also mixed into our bug juice drink recipe, adding even more nutrients. Lemon juice is high in vitamin C and can help improve digestive health as well as reduce the risk of cancer.
While we wouldn’t classify our bug juice as a health food drink or a weight loss drink, we can say that it is healthier than your typical bug juice! Our recipe isn’t purely artificial flavorings. We added something good to the mix!
If you have memories of drinking bug juice at camp or if you are craving the bug juice you see in the grocery store, then you should give our bug juice drink a try.
It tastes great and is a little better for you than the classic sweet juice drink. You will love every sip! Enjoy.
Do you have questions about our bug juice drink or bug juice in general? Hopefully these answers will help! You can always leave a comment in the questions below and we will try to answer ASAP!
How do you make bug juice?
To make bug juice, you simply need to mix powdered Kool-aid, sugar and water. Classic bug juice uses extra water to stretch the Kool-aid mix and get more juice than normal. Our recipe adds in fresh strawberry juice and a splash of lemon juice to make the drink a little healthier and a little more natural tasting.
What exactly is bug juice?
Bug juice is the term used for any powdered drink mix that is made with extra water. The extra water helps make more servings from the powdered mix. This is a trick used at many summer camps to get the most juice possible for the least amount of money.
Bug juice is also a term used to describe very poor quality whiskey or other liquor.
What does bug juice mean?
Bug juice is just a slang term used to describe the very sweet drink classically served at summer camps. The super sweet drink attracts bugs when left out in the wilderness, like at a camp. The name has been around for decades!