Do you have a lot of fresh blueberries on hand? Do you want to capture the taste of the blueberry season before it’s gone?
Then you definitely need to make this syrup. It is one of the best ways to capture the great taste of blueberries and use that delicious flavor in your drinks.
Intrigued by the idea of blueberry syrup for drinks? Then keep on reading so you can perfectly make our blueberry syrup recipe ASAP!
Our blueberry syrup recipe uses very simple ingredients. We try to let the flavor of the blueberries really shine through. Simple is very often best!
Here is what you will need to make our blueberry syrup:
- Sugar- Granulated sugar is what makes this syrup nice and sweet. It is easy to find, tastes great and melts beautifully into a nice, thick syrup.
- Water- Water helps dissolve the sugar and make the syrup the perfect consistency.
- Fresh Blueberries- We like using fresh blueberries because they have the perfect amount of moisture and pulp. Frozen berries often have too much liquid when they thaw and this throws off the perfect balance of the syrup. Stick with the fresh berries to be sure your syrup will have the perfect consistency.
- Lemon Zest- Fresh lemon zest brings a whole lot of bright flavor to the syrup. Blueberries and lemons go naturally well together and just a little bit of zest adds a lot of complimentary dimension to the syrup. This is what takes this recipe from good to great!
Our blueberry syrup is simple and perfectly balanced. It has no artificial ingredients or additives like some bottled syrups do. It is just purely delicious!
Making our blueberry syrup is very simple. Simple ingredients, simple cooking methods- we like to keep it all nice and easy! Here is a quick look at how to make blueberry syrup:
- Boil the sugar and water to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the blueberries and lemon zest to the pot and stir.
- After about 8 minutes, you will hear the blueberries start to pop. This means they are cooked!
- Remove the pot from the stovetop and let the syrup cool.
- Pour the blueberry mix through a fine mesh sieve. Do not press down on the blueberries in the sieve if you want a perfectly clear syrup. Press down on the berries if you want more liquid and don’t mind if the syrup looks a little cloudy.
- Store the syrup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. You can also freeze the syrup for up to two months.
Be sure to pay attention to step 5. Many people like their blueberry syrup to be perfectly clear which means straining the berries and then discarding them (or using the cooked berries to make a smoothie!).
If you smash the blueberries in the sieve, you will get more syrup but it will be cloudy. If you don’t mind a cloudy syrup, press those berries so you can get as much syrup as possible!
You did it! You made a perfect blueberry syrup! Now what?
Blueberry syrup is great on so many things. You can pour it over ice cream, stir it into yogurt, or add it to your granola bowl. Our favorite thing to do with blueberry syrup is mix it into drinks. This is the perfect blueberry syrup for coffee, for milkshakes and for stirring into sodas.
Here are a few drink ideas that use blueberry syrup:
- Pour a tablespoon or two into a milkshake and blend. Blueberry syrup goes great with vanilla, strawberry or even banana milkshakes.
- Use some blueberry syrup to make blueberry iced coffee. It will brighten up your morning drink in a delicious way.
- Add blueberry syrup to lemonade to make an even more refreshing drink. It is perfect in our blueberry pink lemonade recipe which has a beautiful blue to pink ombre color.
- Make a blueberry ginger refresher using homemade blueberry syrup. The bubbly, blueberry seltzer and fresh, spicy ginger is super delicious.
- A blueberry lavender almond milk is a delicious and unique drink that you are sure to love.
You can mix blueberry syrup into almost anything. It is especially great when paired with flavors like vanilla, citrus or ginger. Keep these flavor ideas in mind when you are thinking about how to use your fresh, homemade blueberry syrup.
Try adding blueberry syrup to your summer routine. It will add a whole lot of unique flavor to almost any drink. It definitely captures the taste of fresh blueberries perfectly! Enjoy
Do you have questions about our blueberry syrup? Hopefully we can answer them for you here! Leave your question in the comment section below or look at these FAQ’s and answers first. You may find the answer you have been looking for!
What is blueberry syrup made of?
Our syrup recipe is made with pure, natural ingredients. We start with water and sugar then add fresh blueberries and lemon zest.
That is all you need to make this perfect syrup recipe! No artificial flavors or fake colors here!
How do you store blueberry syrup?
Since our blueberry syrup is completely natural, it has no preservatives to extend the shelf life. However, the syrup will keep for about 1-2 weeks in the fridge in an airtight container.
You can also freeze the syrup for up to two months. We know you will use it all up quickly, though, so don’t worry too much!
How do you thicken homemade berry syrup?
If you want to make a thicker blueberry syrup, all you need to do is boil the sugar and water a little longer before adding the berries. Once the sugar water comes to a boil, let it cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add the blueberries and continue to cook as directed in the recipe.
The syrup will be nice and thick and perfect for ice cream, drinks or mixing into your yogurt.