We love tropical drinks in the summer. Actually, we love tropical drinks all year round. A vibrant, exciting, fruit drink can really make a winter’s day more exciting! When we are feeling a little low and need a fun, summery pick-me-up, we always grab this recipe for a blue hawaiian mocktail. One sip will whisk you away to a tropical island.
The Blue Hawaii cocktail was invented in 1957. The bright blue color of the drink is thanks to blue curacao liqueur. The classic cocktail is also made with rum or vodka, pineapple juice and coconut. It is very similar to a pina colada but with blue liqueur mixed in.
We wanted to recreate the tasty Blue Hawaii drink but skip all the alcohol. A blue, tropical mocktail sounds amazing! We definitely mixed up a winner with this drink.
Here is what you will need to make our delicious Virgin Blue Hawaii:
- Blue Hawaiian Punch- You can find blue punch near kid fruit juice in the grocery store. Blue hawaiian punch is fruity and sweet
- Coconut Cream- Coconut cream adds a rich, tropical taste to the drink. It is sweet, thick and very coconutty.
- Pineapple Juice- Pineapple juice adds another tropical flavor. It is sweet and a little tart
- Lime Juice- fresh lime juice helps cut some of the sweetness in the drink. It is bright and zesty and really is a key ingredient to making the blue hawaiian so delicious.
- Ice- Ice helps the drink blend into a slushy-like drink.
- Maraschino Cherries- Cherries are the classic garnish of the blue hawaiian.
- Pineapple Wedges-Fresh pineapple wedge garnishes are pretty and also represent the pineapple juice that is mixed into the drink
There are so many tropical flavors in this yummy blue drink. It is definitely the drink to try when you want a tasty tropical escape.
Making our blue hawaiian drink recipe is one of the easiest things to do. All you need is a powerful blender and you are ready to go!
- Add all the ingredients to a blender.
- Puree until the ice is completely crushed and smooth. The drink should look nice and thick.
- Pour into two large glasses, garnish with a cherry and pineapple slices and enjoy!
We love the blue hawaiian drink as a smoothie type mocktail but you can also serve it chilled over ice. Skip the blender and add the ice to two large glasses. Mix the remaining ingredients in a pitcher or bowl. Pour the blue drink over the ice and enjoy! Our non alcoholic blue hawaiian is amazing both frozen or chilled!
We have made this blue hawaiian drink recipe tons of times so we have a few tips and tricks to share.
- If you cannot find blue hawaiian punch, replace it with ½ cup coconut water and ½ cup extra pineapple juice. Add about 5 drops of blue food coloring to get the blue color of the drink.
- Use coconut water in place of coconut cream for a lighter version of the drink.
- Pour the frozen drink mix into popsicle molds and freeze for a blue hawaiian popsicle!
- Freeze coconut water in an ice cube tray and use coconut ice to make the drink taste even more tropical.
- A good, high powdered blender is key to the recipe. Let the drink blend until perfectly smooth with no icy chunks.
Do you have any other tips or tricks to make a perfect blue hawaiian mocktail? Let us know! We are always looking for ways to make our drinks better!
Give our blue Hawaiian mocktail a try today. It is the perfect tropical summer drink that looks just as amazing as it tastes. The unique color will have everyone wanting to try a big glass! No one can resist that vibrant blue.
We receive a lot of questions about our mocktails. We wanted to try to answer a few of those questions here to help you make the perfect drinks. If you still have questions about this recipe, feel free to send them our way!
What flavor is blue hawaiian?
Our blue hawaiian is made with pineapple juice, coconut and fresh lime juice. The blue hawaiian punch is a berry flavor. It is a tropical flavored drink for sure!
What is the difference between blue Hawaii and blue Hawaiian?
A blue Hawaii drink is made with sour mix. It has a very lemony taste. A blue hawaiian is made with cream of coconut instead of sour mix. The blue hawaiian is creamier and more tropical flavored thanks to the coconut addition.
What is a traditional Hawaiian drink?
There are many traditional hawaiian drinks. The mai tai, pina colada and blue hawaiian are all quite popular and strongly associated with Hawaii.
What is the most popular drink in Hawaii?
The mai tai may be the most popular drink in Hawaii. It is also considered the signature drink of the state.
What does blue curacao taste like?
Blue curacao has a bitter, citrus flavor. It tastes like an orange peel with a hint of lime. The liqueur is closely related to triple sec liqueur but with a more bitter taste.