Lime juice is an ingredient used very often in mocktails. It is the source of so much flavor, vibrance and excitement! We love lime juice and think it's an ingredient worth looking into. Hopefully you learn a little bit more about this awesome, natural ingredient.
What Are Limes?
Before looking into lime juice, we should first talk about limes. Limes are a small green citrus fruit. Most of the world’s limes are grown in Mexico. The most common type of lime is the Persian lime which is what you will find in most grocery stores. They are about two inches in diameter and are round with a slightly oval shape. Persian limes have no seeds and a pale, juicy flesh.
Limes are used in many types of cuisines around the world. From Thai food to Mexican cuisine, from drinks to dressings, lime juice is everywhere!
Flavor of Lime Juice
Lime juice is very tart and acidic. The flavor of lime juice is often described as bright and vibrant. They have a strong sour flavor and can be quite bitter when eaten plain. Take a sip of straight lime juice and your lips are sure to pucker! However, it is that powerful taste that can transform food and drinks into something really amazing.
Health Benefits of Lime Juice
Adding lime juice to your daily diet can have a huge, positive impact on your health. Lime juice and limes are super healthy. That little green fruit can pack a serious punch! Take a look at a few of the health benefits of lime juice and you will be running to the store to grab some limes for yourself.
- Improve Heart Health- Limes are packed with vitamin C which has been shown to really help prevent heart disease. Fruits and veggies that are high in vitamin C have been proven to have a direct link to lowering the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Help fight against cancers- Limes are loaded with antioxidants. Antioxidants help fight free radicals in the body that can damage cells and cause chronic disease. Limes have been shown to have potent cancer fighting properties, blocking the growth of colon cancer cells by 67%!
- Help With Weight Loss- Does lime burn belly fat? Not necessarily. But lime juice can help you lose weight! Swap your regular soda or juice for lime water. The strong flavor of lime is delicious and exciting but super low in calories (wondering about lime juice calories? There are only 10 calories in a lime!) This simple switch will help you shed pounds easily.
- Increase Immunity- All the vitamin C and antioxidants in limes will help boost your immune system. A strong immune system will help reduce the severity of a simple cold and help prevent you from getting sick in the first place!
- Prevent Kidney Stones- The high amount of citric acid in limes has been shown to prevent kidney stones. Increasing the acidity of urine helps keep the bladder and kidney clean and healthy.
How to Use Lime Juice
What is the purpose of lime juice? There are so many fantastic ways to use lime juice. It is a very versatile ingredient and one you should have in your home at all times. Here are some of the reasons why.
- Squeeze some fresh lime juice and make a delicious mocktail or juice.
- Add some lime zest to a recipe
- Use the oil from the lime rind to make perfume
- Use the juice and oils to make homemade cleaning products
- Add lime juice to your jams and jellies to make them safe to can and store.
- Is lime juice good for your skin? Absolutely! Lim juice can help rejuvenate your skin thanks to the antioxidants and vitamin C. Add a little to your bath for a great experience.
Lime juice can be used in so many ways. You can really add lime juice to just about every aspect of your life! Can I mix lime with honey for a dessert? Absolutely! Lime juice can even be turned into a dessert with a little added sweetness.
How Do You Make Lime Juice?
Making fresh lime juice is so incredibly simple. All you need is a few fresh limes, a sharp knife, and a bowl!
- Cut your limes in half horizontally.
- Squeeze each lime half into the bowl, letting the juice flow out of the lime and into the bowl. If you have a hand juicer or an electric juicer, you can press the half lime onto the juicer to extract even more juice.
- Strain the juice, if you’d like. This will make your juice completely pulp free.
Fresh squeezed lime juice will keep in the fridge for about 2-3 days. Freeze the lime juice for up to two months. Having fresh lime juice cubes on hand will come in handy!
How Much Lime Juice in One Lime?
Most of us have wondered how much juice is in one lime. This is a fantastic question. While all limes will vary, the amount of juice in a standard Persian lime is about two tablespoons. This is a good starting estimate to help you determine how many limes you need to make lime juice.
However, the juice of one lime will be determined by the size and ripeness of each lime. Riper limes will be juicier as will larger limes.
Lime Juice vs Lemon Juice
Is lime juice and lemon juice the same? Definitely not. Lime juice comes from the small green lime fruit while lemons are a totally different type of yellow fruit. Lemons have a sweeter, more mild flavor while limes are tangy and bitter.
Both lime juice and lemon juice are very acidic and they are both citrus fruits. Lemon juice can be a good substitute for lime juice. Is lime better than lemon? We will let you be the judge of that. We think they are too different to compare! If you love the taste of lemon, you should try the refreshing lemon mint juice from Lebanon called Lemonana.
Lime juice really is an incredible food. It is healthy, intense and super versatile. Give a few of our lime mocktail recipes a try and you will fall in love with this tangy fruit all over again! Enjoy.
Leave a Reply