Our agua de horchata is creamy, sweet and revitalizing.
Agua de horchata has been around for centuries. It is one of the most well known drinks in Latin America and Spain. We want to bring the delicious, refreshing beverage to the rest of the world! We know everyone will enjoy it.
What is Agua de Horchata?
Agua de horchata is essentially sweetened rice water. It is usually seasoned with cinnamon and vanilla, giving it a rich, warm taste. The delicious drink has been around since 2400 BC and was created in North Africa. It made its way around the globe thanks to its delicious taste and power.
Agua horchata was originally enjoyed on hot days. It has a powerful cooling quality and was once used as a medicine to help lower fevers. The water was also given to babies and help them stop fussing. It sure has made an impact on the world as a yummy, useful drink!
How to Make Agua de Horchata
Making agua de horchata is quite easy. It does take a little time and planning but the overall effort and skill is minimal. All you need is a pitcher, spoon and a blender! Here is how we make our tasty drink.
- Soak the uncooked rice and cinnamon stick in the water. The longer you let the rice soak, the creamier your drink will be. Let it soak for at least two hours to help tenderize the rice. If you are in a rush, boil the water before soaking the rice. Hot water will soften the rice faster.
- Blend the soaked rice, water and cinnamon sticks together. Yes! You leave the cinnamon sticks in! They will break up into very small, ground bits when blended.
- Strain the mix and then discard any pulp from the rice and cinnamon stick.
- Mix in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla bean paste.
- Chill the agua horchata and serve over ice.
Simple, right? We know! It really is an easy recipe, it just requires a little bit of waiting. All good things come to those who wait! And this delicious, non alcoholic drink will be your reward for your patience.
Tips for Making Agua de Horchata
Homemade agua horchata is very easy to make. Of course, there are always tips and tricks to help you make delicious drinks even better. We have made this recipe quite a few times and have some tricks to share.
- Jasmine rice has a subtle nutty flavor that tastes great in agua de horchata
- Use brown rice for more fiber in your drink. However, you will have to soak brown rice longer since it is quite tough. Double the soaking time if you want to use brown rice in place of white rice.
- Ground cinnamon can be used in place of cinnamon sticks. Use a tablespoon of ground cinnamon and add it to the rice as it is soaking.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg to make the agua more interesting. A little bit goes a long way so only use a pinch!
- Use a teaspoon of almond extract in place of vanilla bean paste for a delicious almond flavor.
- Soak the rice overnight or longer. The longer you soak the rice, the creamier your agua de horchata will be
- Use ¼ cup honey or maple syrup in place of the sweetened condensed milk. You will get a sweet, rich agua de horchata
If you try our agua de horchata recipe and discover any other delicious tips and tricks, be sure to let us know! We are always looking for ways to make our recipes even better!
You Asked, We’re Answering
Agua de horchata is a delicious drink that you have to try. We do get a lot of questions about agua de horchata so we wanted to answer as many as possible to help you make your refreshing drink even better.
What is agua de horchata made of?
Agua de horchata is made with very simple ingredients. Water, rice, cinnamon sweetened condensed milk and vanilla bean paste are all you need. Some recipes may use a different sweetener than condensed milk and vanilla extract or vanilla beans are often used in place of vanilla bean paste.
Is horchata and agua fresca the same thing?
Horchata is considered to be a type of agua fresca. Agua fresca is simply any kind of water with a flavoring added to it. Fresh fruits, nuts or rice are often used to make agua fresca. Horchata is a perfect example of using rice to flavor water. For those who have a penchant for drinks, the iconic Horchata has given rise to rum-based cream liqueur - and no other dessert embodies this spirit better than RumChata Pound Cake. We are still searching for the perfect non-alcoholic alternatives to RumChata that will make an alcohol-free version of this dessert even more delicious!
How bad is horchata for you?
Horchata may actually be healthier than you think. Yes, it contains sugar but many drinks do. Horchata is actually a good source of vitamins and minerals. Rice has fiber, magnesium and B vitamins. It is also a good source of healthy carbs which are the bodies natural fuel.
Is it bad to drink horchata everyday?
It is not bad to drink horchata every day. In fact, a glass of horchata every day will help you stay hydrated and give you a great source of natural energy.
Does Horchata contain milk?
Traditional horchata is made with sweetened condensed milk so it is not dairy free. However, you can tweak this recipe to make dairy free horchata. Omit the sweetened condensed milk and add ¼ cup on honey to sweeten the drink.